Thninking of Adopting a HF IRN

Moderator: Mods

pw414

Thninking of Adopting a HF IRN

Post by pw414 »

I have been researching IRN's and have noticed alot of posts about biting phases. We have found a breeder that has hand fed lutino's and are very interested in going to see them. Our hesitation has to do with seeing so many IRN's in avian rescues, and also seeing so many for sale listed as "not tame". Is it hard to get past the "bluffing" stages, is it hard to keep them hand tame? During the "bluffing" stages, do they draw blood? Are IRN's cuddely birds? We wanted to get info straight from the horses mouth, meaning from IRN owners. Please let us know your experiences, and if you have any regret with the species. I know each bird is different, and has their own personality, but we can't help but doubt when we read so many horror stories. Please help!
Thanks!
bec

Post by bec »

the bluffing stage isnt the easiest thing to get through but it is worth the effort to do it
yep they can sometimes draw blood
but it is just a stage if you follow the advice on the bluffing post you will get past it
there are some cuddily irns but not all of them are
we have 6 irns & all totaly different personalities
my tamest one very rarley lets me cuddle her but will sit on me &steal my food
the only regret i have about these birds i i havent got more avairies
so i can get more!!!
irns are wonderful birds i cant imagine why anyone would ever regret getting one
and if you have any difficulties you have this site for information and advice
all the best
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I have 2 very cuddly ringies while the other 2 likes pats but not too many at one time. These 4 are all handraised.

Youtube has a lot of videos on tame ringnecks, some even do tricks.

Ringnecks I have found, are very inteligent birds. For most of them food is definately the way to a ringnecks heart.

Even if you don't have a cuddly bird, they seem to love company and are quite happy to sit on or near you. :)

ALL birds have the potential to draw blood, even a little budgie.

Welcome aboard pw414. :D
bec

Post by bec »

oh pink your so luckly having cuddly ones :D
CalamariBaby

Post by CalamariBaby »

Ringnecks are great. So intellegent. I think of them kida like a cat.
They will take affection on thier terms. Zazu has claimed me as his so I am the one who gives him pets and scratches. Boy does he need a nail trim though. He surprises me by quietly walking up and climbing on top of my bare feet. OUCH! :shock:
Since I have little kids I had the breeder DNA my bird to be sure it would be a boy. Even though there are perfectly sweet girlie birds I thought males were more evenly tempered and she agreed a male would be best for us.
Allie
CalamariBaby

Post by CalamariBaby »

You know..... If you were researching another bird in the same price range you would probably find the same amount in shelters and rescue centers. There are many people who either adopt animals for the wrong reasons or are faced with problems that mean they have to give them up. I believe if you bring an animal home with the right intentions and commitment you can't go wrong.
I wouldn't hold peoples choices against the bird.
Allie
ian1

Post by ian1 »

Hi,

I have a rescue female IRN. She was sold as 'will not talk, will not come to hands, will not mix' and she looked like she'd been fighting.

Do I regret not buying the hand reared baby in the next cage? Er yes, in some respects.

After 9mths she's still not tame (and I have some experience in trying to win her over). My main issue has been that it's difficult to build trust without the basic step-up trust that allows you to move the bird about and recage. Where I have been forced to grab her to move her she never forgives me.

It may well be the case that she's a wild bird that's been picked off the telegraph wires outside. In any case I'm 9 mths into what will be a very difficult 30 years. I regret it after experiencing the joy of a hand reared second bird that brings ME treats, but I've bonded with her, shes in great health and very happy, just not tame. As my slightly younger Alex grows more and more attached to me, it's having a very clear effect on the IRN and I think I think she may chill out within a year.

I have been very close to opening the window when a flock passed but the temperatures where I am could make it a death sentence. Some of you may be horrified by this but living with a feral bird domestically is very difficult and putting a feral IRN into a flock of 20 isn't like releasing a bird in an incompatible western country.

My opinion is to leave rescue to pros and stick with pedigree hand reared birds.

Added: Sorry didn't want to imply you were looking to rescue, just wanted to give you an idea of what living with one was like ;)
LAAnnie

Post by LAAnnie »

My IRN was a wild bird that I found, 5 years ago. I wouldn't trade her for anything. She isn't real cuddly but she is a great companion, on her terms. These birds are so intelligent, it is incredible. If you are lucky enough to get a bird that is already tame, that's great. I tamed Pretty Girl myself, starting with stick training. It takes a while, but they will bond to you and get tamer.

A rescue bird has probably been mistreated, and will take longer to learn to trust a human. It just takes time and patience. They are smart, and they know who is trying to help them.