another n00b in NYC :)

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Pattu Rani

another n00b in NYC :)

Post by Pattu Rani »

Hello,

I am happy I found this forum. I am looking to buy an IRN and want to know all I can before I make the commitment. I lost my sweet sennie 2 years ago :cry: and loved her so much it was hard to think about getting another bird but now I am ready - I saw IRNs flying wild in India and also a lot as pets.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi Pattu :)

It is very sad when you loose a much loved pet. Glad you are now ready to make another commitment to another bird. :)

Ringies are so elegant looking with their long tail, aren't they?

Shame they have such a bad reputation. :? I don't really know why as I have noticed that ALL birds seem to have a "bluffing" stage sometime in their life.

Anyway hope you have luck in finding your birdy friend soon and welcome to the forum. :)
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

Hey! Welcome here! If you have any questions, feel free to ask! That's why this forum is here.

Ringies are so much fun. I love my little guy. He isn't uber snuggly usually, but he has his days. He loves bedtime snugglies, falling asleep after crawling under my blanket with only his little head poking out. I snuggle him for a good hour or so then I put him to bed in his cage.

He's so playful. He's learning how to play catch with this little round bead that fell off of one of his toys. I roll it to him and he rolls it back to me.

Not all birds go through bluffing. My little guy, Skye, is about 8 months old. He's either already gone through it before I met him or he never will go through it.

There's all sorts of uber great info here. Ask away!
Janet

Becoming an IRN owner

Post by Janet »

Hi,

I LOVE my IRNs. I have three. I have two beautiful lutinos. They have been with me for a year. I also recently got a turquoise. They are the happiest, funniest and thoroughly lovable little creatures. I laugh all the time at the things they do. They are not difficult to look after and seem to be pretty robust.

One of mine is talking which keeps me entertained for hours. He calls out to my dog and says "Good boy". If I call out to the dog, my bird does as well. Every time the dog does something wrong, Bird (yes, his name is Bird) says "Uh oh". He asks me what I'm doing and is trying to say "What's a bird to do!"

When I got the two lutinos their wings had been clipped but they are now flying. My new little one would like to fly as well but has to wait until his primary wing feathers are replaced. My birds love to fly around the room and then land on my head for a rest. They preen my hair and my face and give me parrot kisses. One of them likes to talk to my foot (don't ask me why!).

They have to be kept busy with toys and things to shred but they like shredding most things so it is easy to keep them happy. They like foraging toys. Their newest undertaking is to demolish a Croc (a shoe not a crocodile). They work together to try to get it up their big ladder. We wonder what they will do if they ever get it up there.

I put a leafy tree branch in their cage and they play amongst the leaves for a day or so then demolish the whole thing. They love to have a bath. I put a tray of water in the sun and they splash around for ages. Inside their cage, they will try to have a bath in their water containers.

I couldn't be without them.

Janet
Pattu Rani

Post by Pattu Rani »

Hi again, thanks for the welcome. :D

My sennie went through a biting stage when she was younger but calmed down to where I could trust her 100%(okay, maybe 95%) of the time. If anyone has a sennie and an IRN I wonder if you can tell me what is the difference in temperament between the two species?

I love watching IRN videos on Youtube and what attracts me most to IRNs is their personality and most have such a cute voice. They are so elegant looking too - their feathers look like they are painted on.

My husband is from Nepal and when he was growing up he had a little 'pattu'(Nepali nickname for parrot) so he is looking forward to us getting another one. I would even like to get more than one because it looks like they have so much fun together. The sad thing about the parrots in Nepal is that there are men who catch them in the forest and sell them in Kathmandu at the temples :( - it is considered good merit if you set them free but some people keep them as pets. In Indian and Nepali culture parrots are a symbol of love because they mate for life - sad that the bird catchers are breaking up loving couples and families. :cry:

How did you find an IRN breeder in your area? I have been looking for a breeder in the NY/NJ area and not having much luck.