a few ?s about irns

Moderator: Mods

birdylover

a few ?s about irns

Post by birdylover »

Hi im sarah in new here so hi to everyone i hope you can help me i have a few questions about irns

first off is it ok for me to breed them at this time of year? (i hope so as i have gave them a nestbox and the snowy my girl is showing real intrest in it)
dose anyone know what colours i will get if they breed? male is green female is albino
and how can you tell there age the boy is wearing a dark blue c/r with 53 GW on, the girl dosent have a ring,
thanks in advance
love sarah
my babys
sally (dog) stella + fluffy (cats) emo, beauty, millie, silver, (cockatiels) angel (budgie) snowy + joey (ringnecks) can + rio (canaries)
+ 9 fish
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Breeding season in Australia is in Spring. I wouldn't try breeding through Winter.

Green Cock x Albino Hen
=Green/Blue/Ino Cocks
=Green/Blue Hens

No real way to tell the age. I'm assuming the Cock has a ring around its neck?
birdylover

Post by birdylover »

thanks, i will take the box down then till spring when do i put it back up feb/march time? and yes the cock dose have a ring around his neck its black and it goes under his beak and its pink at the back :)
love sarah
my babys
sally (dog) stella + fluffy (cats) emo, beauty, millie, silver, (cockatiels) angel (budgie) snowy + joey (ringnecks) can + rio (canaries)
+ 9 fish
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Welcome! Sounds like you are well advanced on MBS already, so you will fit right in. Which Birmingham?
MCS
birdylover

Post by birdylover »

birmingham in england
love sarah
my babys
+ 9 fish
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Thanks! I thought of UK and Alabama, though I suspect there are lots more. Must admit I never spent much time there, but was SO happy when I found out I could fly there directly and did not have to go in and out of Heathrow-- can't even remember where I was going--maybe Wales? In any event, welcome!
MCS
birdylover

Post by birdylover »

CatsChair wrote:Thanks! I thought of UK and Alabama, though I suspect there are lots more. Must admit I never spent much time there, but was SO happy when I found out I could fly there directly and did not have to go in and out of Heathrow-- can't even remember where I was going--maybe Wales? In any event, welcome!

Thanks for the welcome, how many irn's do you own? That blue one is a beuty any other pets?
love sarah
my babys
+ 9 fish
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Magellan is the only IRN, but I have, erh..., a couple of other fids. Think the whole town has me on speed dial for unwanted birds. Got three beautiful budgies yesterday, who will eventually join the other nine; we are waiting on eggs there, as well, so will just say an even dozen and change at the moment. Two cockatiels, four canaries (one egg there), fourteen zebra finches and two cats. They all live in the great room, so there is quite a bit of ruckus (and mess). Goal for the day is to make rum balls without any noticeable bird seed or pellets!
MCS
birdylover

Post by birdylover »

CatsChair wrote:Magellan is the only IRN, but I have, erh..., a couple of other fids. Think the whole town has me on speed dial for unwanted birds. Got three beautiful budgies yesterday, who will eventually join the other nine; we are waiting on eggs there, as well, so will just say an even dozen and change at the moment. Two cockatiels, four canaries (one egg there), fourteen zebra finches and two cats. They all live in the great room, so there is quite a bit of ruckus (and mess). Goal for the day is to make rum balls without any noticeable bird seed or pellets!

wow quite a lot then lol, i had two budgies but one died on friday :(
we dont know why i think he had a heart attack, he died in my hand,
im on the look out for another one, since he died my hen has one swollen around the back end so i dont know if they mated before he died and shes going to lay a egg i dont know wether to put her a nest box up in case she dose or leave it down and see what happens
love sarah
my babys
+ 9 fish
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

I'm so sorry. It is a helpless feeling, isn't it? Don't think it would hurt to give her a nesting box. Pity you live so far away, I could offer you three or four new cousins to take her mind off missing her mate.
MCS
birdylover

Post by birdylover »

CatsChair wrote:I'm so sorry. It is a helpless feeling, isn't it? Don't think it would hurt to give her a nesting box. Pity you live so far away, I could offer you three or four new cousins to take her mind off missing her mate.

It is i only got them in july, and he was only about 3years, i will give her a nest box then just in case, that would have been great i have advertised on a few sites asking for a budgie ive had no responce so far though im sure ill get one soon though.
love sarah
my babys
+ 9 fish
DEEDEE

Post by DEEDEE »

Welcome to another UK resident