Grape Vines

Moderator: Mods

Turtle

Grape Vines

Post by Turtle »

Hi everyone,

I will be getting an IRN in a few weeks. In the meantime I want to build a play area/perch. I was thinking of using braches from my grape vines. Do you think the wood will be too soft and easily destroyed. I also have a number of apple and citrus trees, would they be better for the job at hand.

Also any recomendations on sizes, ie: perch diameter, spacing between steps, swing height etc...

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance :)
Melika

Post by Melika »

Our IRNs are very acrobatic, so swing height doesn't seem to matter- if they want to get to it, they will! :D

For perch diameter, try 5/8 to one half of an inch. Variety is the spice of live... or however the saying goes, lol.

Apple is great, and will be devoured eagerly (they're flavoured)! Grape vines are fine, and so are citrus branches.

You really do want perches that can be chewed, as birds need to chew! And IRNs are no exception. In fact, most in the genus Psittacula are avid chewers, since in the wild they excavate their own nests in wood. Chewing is a very healthy activity, both mentally and physically, for birds.

Always make sure you wash branches from outside well, with soap and water and rinse thoroughly. You can use a tiny bit of bleach in water if you want, though grapefruit seed extract (GSE) is a more natural way to go. Or even vinegar and water. ^_^
Some bake their branches dry, but it isn't required. But always allow the branches to dry before using them for your bird.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
baby_bella

Post by baby_bella »

you have to post pics of your new stand once its made! i love seeing how creative evryone is. and what they make for there babies. :D
beauty is fleeting, but wisdom never fades it grows stronger each day
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Here are a couple of pics of my babies stands.

This one is a little closer up put doesnt show the whole thing.

Both girls have the same kind of cage.

Chief likes this one so the girls cant bother him.

Chief chillin'

He is so cool and laid back heh, should have named him Cheech.

When buying a cage, make sure the bar spacing is NO MORE than a half an inch.

This is Cheifs cage. It was Baby's. Great for training.

Last edited by Mikaela on Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Mikaela Sky

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Thanks for the advice. I'll get a start on it tomorrow and will post some pics in a week or two.
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

This is the best site I have found so far on wood toxic and safe http://www.mdvaden.com/bird_page.shtml
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

That is the site we used! haha

Even cyber space is a small world.

Here is a topic I created a few weeks ago titled "Please post pics of your cages. Check It out, alot of members posted. Those of you that did... thanks :wink:

http://www.indianringneck.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=941
~ Mikaela Sky

Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

This is Mazzie on the grapevine perch, mind you this is dried and prepped Grapevine...

We had that custom made for the IRN's, making sure to have one very low branch to allow them to climb down and back up... it wasn't very expensive all told really.

It is a pain to clean... I wipe it down daily but I have to take it to the shower and scrub it with a brush about every 3 days...

Athena