How do you build an Aviary

Moderator: Mods

tasha

How do you build an Aviary

Post by tasha »

Does any one have any advice on how to build an avairy?
Even if you can just let me know what type of wood to use it would be very much appreciated
Cheers Tasha
Tasha & Indy
Melika

Post by Melika »

You can really use any wood as long as it is untreated. When you wire, wire the inside of the wood too, as IRNs are chewers and you don't want them eating their way out.
Cedar and redwood are naturally resistant to pests and would work fine, though they are very expensive. Untreated pine can work as well. I don't know what's in your area.

I would always create a safety door/space. Where you open on door and you're in an enclosed area with that door closed before opening the actual aviary door. That way if they get through one door they'll still be enclosed. And the feeding and nesting doors should open to the same enclosed area- just in case.

I can't think of anything else at the moment.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
tasha

Post by tasha »

Melika

Thank you very much I just didn't know where to start

Cheers tasha
Tasha & Indy
Melika

Post by Melika »

Found a site. I have pages and pages of bird links in my favourites, lol. So it took a bit to find it. But here you go. He has great pics and lists the materials he uses. His aviaries are pretty much top quality. And the wire he uses is great.

http://www.backyardaviary.com/

And I believe he sells plans or kits or something. Haven't been to his site in a while.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
tasha

Post by tasha »

Melika
Thanks for all your help
Tasha
Tasha & Indy