meats

Moderator: Mods

Ducky

meats

Post by Ducky »

does any one know about raw meats ducky goes nuts over hambuger or chicken,I have to but her on her cage because she nonstop tries to get at it. I don't let her until its cooked and she doesn't seem to care much about it then.
wow on the tea i've heard of many IRNs that enjoy tea
Last edited by Ducky on Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ducky

oops

Post by Ducky »

oops ducky was typing too..
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

I get that, ok for typing bad for gaming. They get me killed in game a fair bit.

No clue on the meats thing tho, raw meats bad even for us. I dont usually let my birds in the kitchen. Definatly not while preparing food. Kitchen and Bedroom are off limits to my birds
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

Meat isn’t good for chickens. not health wise i mean it makes them mentally unstable i.e. they become more territorial and protect their territory at all costs against anything even the hand that feeds. i dont know if the same applys to other animals.
Melika

Post by Melika »

You can give cooked meat to parrots, but I don't belive their digestive system can handle raw meat if it is contaminated (and most is, unless you just butchered your cow).

Raw meat is great for dogs though, turkey necks and chicken backs. It's called BARF (LOL!): Biologically Appropriate Raw Food

Pardon my spelling... i got a litte dizzy there for a moment... Need to go eat something.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Jade

Post by Jade »

My chickens are all cannibals! :twisted: I haven't seen any odd behaviour out there whereby they are territorial or any 'Lord of the Flies' type behaviour happening. I give them ham offcuts, bacon rind, roast chicken carcasses, left over sandwhich meat etc etc etc.

Apparently its supposed to be okay to give chickens meat - for the protein. I also feed them their egg shells for calcium.
Melika

Post by Melika »

We even give our dogs dried eggshell for calcium (a teaspoon). And any cooked recipies for birds that require egg I crush and mix the shell right in.

We're trying to get them used to hard-boiled eggs now.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Jade

Post by Jade »

I gave boiled eggs to my King parrots and to my IRNs. The Kingys loved them and gobbled them all up but the IRNs just seemed to dance over them and throw them off the ledge. The ants then enjoyed them.
Carly

Post by Carly »

I was wondering the other day, are regular 'battery hen' eggs ok to feed our birds? Ive heard the rumours about all the hormones that go into those chickens, havent looked it up but could it be worthwhile using organic eggs for our birds? Im assuming any hormone that effects a chicken could affect a parrot..
Jade

Post by Jade »

sorry Carly. I have never given my parrots (or my family!) store bought eggs. I have my own chickens. Personally I won't eat store bought eggs because of the antibiotics and enhancers and steroids they inject into the birds who lay them. I am always scared that they will build up in the body and when you really get sick and need medication, you have too much of a tolerance built up from eating chickens and their eggs.

That's my theory anyway :?
Melika

Post by Melika »

We've been eating organic eggs for a long while now. And when our friend from Port Richey visits she brings us eggs from her chickens- we can't have livestock within city limits.

Prepare and cook a regular storebought chicken for dinner, then the next week do the same with a horomone free organic chicken and you will definitely notice a difference. Horomone free chicken is soooooo juicy! We tried one once and never went back, lol. Pork, beef, chicken, and any meat we buy now is horomone free. The taste is just worth it.
Besides, the idea of ingesting all those horomones and chemicals into our own bodies is pretty nasty. We did a bit of research into it after finding it tasted better. :roll: