Taking on a friends ringneck

Moderator: Mods

Chooky

Taking on a friends ringneck

Post by Chooky »

My Indian Ringneck is just on two years old and he is a boy :) He is very friendly, flies onto my shoulder, enjoys pats etc. He tries to talk but can't just yet. He is mature sexually (he tries to do things to my hand while biting my fingers).

A friend has a mature female ringneck that is laying eggs and the girl is getting cranky as her male ringneck isn't mature enough to fertilize them.

She has offered me the girl for free in exchange for one of the chicks (if they are compatable).

I want to take the girl as she isn't happy and wants to breed and my boy wants to breed, but is my fellow going to ignore me or not like me so much?? Sounds selfish I know but I saved him nearly two years ago from a pet shop and he goes everywhere with me and I would be heartbroken if he decided he didn't like me anymore :(

The girl is not tamed, my fellow is very tame.

Tricky is very possessive about his cage, would he let the new girl into his space?? She apparently spends the majority of time in a cage but Tricky's cage is always open so he can come and go as he likes (apart from bedtime when he likes to be covered over, but still the cage is open).

What to do? Tricky comes with us down the coast and has a great time talking with the native birds.

I want to take the girl as she is giving my friend grief and Tricky needs something more than me but I'm worried that it will change everything about my and my families relationship with Tricky.

Sorry for the short novel.

Any advice or personal experience with a similar situation is so welcome!
bec

Re: Taking on a friends ringneck

Post by bec »

when an irn bonds with a mate they will loose some of the bond with people but our hand tamed guy riku still comes and sitts on me while im cleaning his cage & adding food he still loves me (the almighty food bringer) but he loves kirara
more
Chooky

Post by Chooky »

Thanks bec, I appreciate your help. I know I only flit in here every now and then. I've decided to take the girl, she is giving my friend a lot of grief , but I'll put her in an aviary and get a friend for her. Tricky's ring is almost fully out now, bec!! He looks really handsome. I must take some pics and post them! This site has really changed a lot!!
bec

Post by bec »

awwww pics will be great!!!!
what color is tricky again? (im only on my second coffee for the day & in the middle of moving house so my brain is on strike)