Why do people teach thier birds to say thier own name?

Moderator: Mods

IMR4N

Why do people teach thier birds to say thier own name?

Post by IMR4N »

Hey all. I find that teaching your bird to say its name or say “hello” (e.g.to its self just strengthens the case that they are mindless mimics and they don’t understand what they are saying or doing. Obviously I do disagree with this statement. But I try dot to teach Zazu his name. They are clever birds and can associate words with items and even learn to ask for them items. Teaching them their name makes them look like jesters.

Sometimes they just pick it up that is inevitable but they only pickup words that they think will help them survive. For example to warn of predators it may use a sound which the predator is afraid of or to scare of other birds it might make the could of a crow etc.

My view anyway feel free to reply.
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

I think teaching a bird to say it's own name can be very useful, if you were to lose your bird, it would be very easy to identify
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Imran,

LoL! We got the same name;)

Ok, anyway.

I could not agree with you more! You read my mind! I can’t understand why people only teach parrots to mimic.

Although Archimedes is a fantastic talker and says so many things, I made the mistake of only teaching him to mimic. None the less, he is still very smart and has a huge vocabulary.

Why was I thinking this? Well, a good friend of mine, also known as MistyAnikin here, has Archimedes’s brother, Anikin.

This bird is unbelievable! Very smart and it’s almost scary!

Misty, Anikin’s owner, treats her bird like a person; talks to her indain ringneck like she would with a human. This bird is very gifted with association. Asks for water, misty, and as soon as he sees misty, she gets a “hey baby.”

I mean, you have to see this parrot to know what I am talking about. Very smart creature! Most parrots are taught to act like parrots. Anikin on the other hand thinks he’s 100% human! :shock:

Good topic! Would love to see other people elaborate on it! :wink:

Good topic!

Imran Chaudhry
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

I agree.

Datsun is very good at communicating what she wants, when I go up to her in the morning she says "good morning" but never after 10am. she says hello... well non stop but its because that gets her loads of attention from any family and friends. She says "Dirty Girl" when shes having her bath in her water dish, we hear "What Doin?... Hey, hey.... what you doin?" when she can't see us and wants to know where we are. She says "Yuuummm..... gimmme yummms" if we are eating what she wants an I have no idea where she got that!

We have just gotten a baby lovebird and Datsun is very interested. I let her investigate and told her "be very quiet Dats its just a baby". She sat on the edge of the box the baby was in and said "hello... are you a pretty girl? awwwwwww sweet baby.... sleepy bird? nite nite love you baby" Then lifted her foot for me to pick her up.

I am not one to sit there and repeat words, Datsun is spoken to as I would speak to my child and thus she picks up whatever she thinks she needs to communicate what she wants.

I have no doubt that she understands everything she says and in what context to use it. She is not yet a year old and oh sooooooo smart.

Datsun is lucky enough to come to work with me (in a pet store) and she loves to talk to the customers and ask them how their day was but gets annoyed when they just repeat what shes saying!
-Chamon-

Melika

Post by Melika »

I don't believe a bird saying his/her own name is always intentional though. I happen to call my Hane by his name when I speak to him. And since one would say their bird's name regularly, it may just become one of the first words a bird would speak. Like hello, or goodbye. Or treat, lol. ^^

And it really could be useful if you ever lose your bird. Knowing birds though, they might "forget" their own names just for fun! :lol:
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
selma

Post by selma »

Melika you took the words right from my mouth. I also didn't teach my bird his name but when i call him or talk to him i use his name so he just picked it up like that. I try not teach him to mimic. I do the same as Datsun. Just talk to him like i would to a little child.
Carly

Post by Carly »

they can definately use words in context. its much more entertaining for you and your bird when you both know what things mean!

Rajah meows if you ask him what a ***** cat says, he gives kisses by making the noise AND touching with his beak (he kisses his mate Sari on the head), and he only says 'hello' as a greeting when someone enters the room. incidently he dosent really say his own name, only as part of the phrase 'whats up raj?'
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

Melika and selma If yall read back to my post I did say it can sometimes happen. But as carly said its better for both the owner and his pet human to know what is being said.