re bluey

Moderator: Mods

dannywoods1

re bluey

Post by dannywoods1 »

morning all

could someone please help we are getting mixed information about bluey ... please can someone tell us if bluey is a boy or girl ... we have been told that bluey is a mature female ... but when we bought bluey we was told that bluey was a male and from last years chick and would be fine as an indoor bird

i know a breeder of parrots and she asked us what colour blueys eye are and they are orange so she said bluey is a teenager ... which i would put about right because correct me if iam wrong but dont ringnecks mature at around 2 years old so if bluey was one of last years chicks he would be half way there hence been teenager .... also i asked about bluey been male or female and she said if his ring is on the right foot it is a male and left for female .... we are in the uk not sure if its different for other areas

also weve been told bluey would be better outside in an aviery and will be very hard to tame .... we know it will take time and are prepared for this ..... bluey was first hand reared and then taken into an aviery until we bought bluey .... but we have had bluey now about 6 months and he has learnt to say hello, danny and jemma .... you can defently make out whats been said but not 100% as we would not expect this in such short space of time .... bluey is also learning step up ... bluey will step up and allow you to move him/her a meter before either hopping off onto the surface you are going towards or flying off ... so i believe we are doing really well and we are trying to find out more ways of helping bluey but its hard when people just say no you shouldnt have him/her inside

bluey now likes having a shower with a water spray ... as before really didnt like it and before bluey never seemed to prune him/herself but now he loves his shower and will sit pruning for about 10 mins after bluey will have a good sort out of the feather and i must admit the feathers now look loads better and bluey has loved this sunshine we have been having ... which has now gone :( ... but bluey loved going and sitting outside in his/her cage ... cherping away to the other birds.

iam sorry its been a long post but we just needed to know that we are doing things right ... and just to say bluey does not look unhappy and we defently have the best interested of bluey and would love any help or advise .... ive included a pic of bluey and a pic of the play gym we have also built for bluey :D

sorry one more thing would bluey be happier if we got another bird ... i know danny would love a black capped conure and we know they wouldnt be able to live together but would at least be able to play, fly and take to each other ... or would it be better to get another ringneck ???

thank you Jemma and Danny

Last edited by dannywoods1 on Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danny blue irn
dannywoods1

Post by dannywoods1 »

p.s this is a pic before bluey started taking a shower and sorting feathers ... i will put a new pic up soon but i just wanted to use a pic where you can see his/her posture ...size ect

thank you Jemma and Danny
Danny blue irn
julie

Post by julie »

It sounds like you are doing a good job with him/her and I wouldn't say put in an aviary. With the whole ring on this foot is a girl that foot is a boy, I couldn't help but laugh, unless the bird has been dna tested or sexed or is a sex linked mutation the only way to tell is to wait for the ring to come in for boys or wait till a mature age for a hen or she lays eggs. Keep going with how you are cause it sounds like you have made some good progress.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

From what I've read and seen (youtube) the males are the stars of talking...but if you have to know-test.
julie

Post by julie »

I have 2 females that talk.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

julie wrote:It sounds like you are doing a good job with him/her and I wouldn't say put in an aviary. With the whole ring on this foot is a girl that foot is a boy, I couldn't help but laugh, unless the bird has been dna tested or sexed or is a sex linked mutation the only way to tell is to wait for the ring to come in for boys or wait till a mature age for a hen or she lays eggs. Keep going with how you are cause it sounds like you have made some good progress.
I agree with Julie. :D :D :D
dannywoods1

Post by dannywoods1 »

hi all we dont mind if bluey is male or female ... just as long as we know we are doing everything possible to keep bluey as happy as he/she deserves
Danny blue irn
floridamedgirl

Post by floridamedgirl »

oh my god I love your drying rack/bird gym!!! that is so creative!
"Wally" IRN Male DOH 3/8/09
dannywoods1

Post by dannywoods1 »

thank you we saw the idea when googling play gyms for parrots and we got the clothes airer from argos ... bluey is still a little weary of it but hopefully will soon feel comfy and start destroying things lol

at the min with all his toys in his cage we have also made him some little parcels with toilet roll holders with tissue paper round and millet hidden inside as he loves his millet ... if that doesnt work may try some nuts inside so it rattles and may interest him more with the sounds but hopefully bluey will figure out soon what to do
Danny blue irn
dannywoods1

Post by dannywoods1 »

oh just to say we have now taken the toilet roll off the play gym as we was getting information saying they were not safe but we did look on internet at first and it said it was ok ... but best to be safe and we took it off
Danny blue irn
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

They say it is not safe, but you can use the regular
ones you use. Not the ones for toilet but the ones
that are bigger..
julie

Post by julie »

U.S Marine do you mean like the alfoil type ones?
Indie wont play with toys :( Mika regurgitates and tries to feed his and spike thinks they are beds :? spike is a little weird in the head though.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Actually screw what they say, you can
use the toilet paper rolls. I will show you
guys how to make a treat out of it too! :D :D :D
dannywoods1

Post by dannywoods1 »

that would be cool thank you marine .... bluey seems to be coming on more and more each day .... he now prunes himself everyday ... when he comes out he comes closer and closer to us and is doing so well with the step up ... he only steps up onto stick at the moment but what an achievement we are so proud of him

we have a little wind chime in our window and as bluey walks past on the curtain rail he has to lean down and ring the bell :lol: .... its like his mischiefs streak is coming out and it so cute

today he went and had a chew at the little parcel we made him but he has not opened it up properly to get to the millet from inside but hopefully he will soon :)
Danny blue irn
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

You know what, i think i'll do it right now.
I'll get pictures up in 10 minutes..
dannywoods1

Post by dannywoods1 »

thank you :D
Danny blue irn
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

groovey_jem

Post by groovey_jem »

hi everyone :D my name is jemma and iam bluey's mum :lol:

ive been on dannys log on all day and now hes kicked me off and set up my own account lol

thank you all for you help and advice for bluey :D really appreciated