Moderator: Mods

tasha

showering

Post by tasha »

How do you shower / bath an IRN

cheers Tasha :?:
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

My babies enjoy it most with a VERY warm spray bottle. They will turn themselves around and let me get them everywhere. I was bathing my youngest everyday because she LOVES it but had to stop because it was making her feathers lay flat and not so pretty.

Spray the bottle on your wrist. It should be a little warmer than a babies bottle. Then, get them to a place where you can work and spray away. I think you'll find they love it.

If not, they will bath themselves in the water they drink from usually. In my case, no matter how many birds baths I try to use, they always prefer bathing in their drinking water :roll:

Alot of people here have birds that prefer a warm bowl of water at the bottom of their cage to bath themselves, mine are too lazy for that.

Good luck, welcome to the board and please, share pics!
~ Mikaela Sky

Melika

Post by Melika »

Hane tries to bathe in his water, though unsuccessfully. The only ways he likes a shower are either outside during a rainstorm, when I'm watering the plants I can water him too, or putting a washcloth in the [clean] sink for grip and switching the faucet to the spray instead of deluge feature.

And he always prefers to dry off outside where it's warm. And when the sun is out.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

As you can see in my Avatar Kiva baths in his drink water which is a large shallow dish can fit about 3 birds at once in it. The dish has rocks in it to help birds climb out, I learned this a long time ago when I had baby quails, I had to put rocks in so they wouldnt drown.

My Sun Conures come into the shower with us and bathe that way, when they dont do that they go into the dish with kiva.

My birds also drink water out of a cup which is very cute.

My cockatiel Trill baths by spray bottle. He hangs upside down from the curtain and lets me spray him.
Jade

Post by Jade »

I usually fill up my aviary bird baths with a watering can or bucket (thank you drought :x ), but the other morning I thought 'bugger it' and used a hose. I realised that for the first time in Chuckles and Sunny's life, they had seen the hose. Sunny got so excited over it that she started fluffing herself up and rubbing herself all over the food in her food tray. She had apple and pear juice all over her and just kept rubbing her head over the corn cob. I was laughing so hard because I have never seen anything like it before. I had to of course, then hose her to get all the juice and stickiness off her. She loved it. By the end of it all, she was soaking wet and looked almost bald because her yellow feathers were clinging to her body.

ps: Chuckles hid in the seed bowl the entire time and refused to come near the hose.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Since you are having water issues may I recommend a spray bottle?

I mist my girls daily with very warm water and it is BY FAR their favorite part of the day. Do it early enough for them to dry before the sun goes down. Dont need any night chills.
~ Mikaela Sky

DarinA

Post by DarinA »

My Jade loves the bathtub. I put about 2 inches of water in it and lay wash rags in the bottom of the tub, dont get caught doing this though, and he loves to dip his head in with his wings out and flip the water over himself. His favorite part though is he sits on the edge of the sink and get dryed with the hairdryer. He will spread his tailfeathers and lean forward like he is soaking up the heat. He seems to like this about twice a week. When I see him splashing in his water bowl he goes right to the tub. I have taken him in other times and he doesnt seem interested.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

AHHhhhhh.... Imma go do that with all my babies! They have never played like that before!

Thanks Darin. I always spray them, which they love but a whole tub of water. Woooot Wooot!

I promise... no pics :oops:
~ Mikaela Sky

baby_bella

Post by baby_bella »

My baby love the shower! she flaps her wings sticks her head up high and drinks the water too! its so cute! she also goes grey cause she is a blue.
i take bella for a shower every 3 or so days and wrap her up in a warm towel and put her on my chest and she just falls asleep... awww how cute! :roll:
beauty is fleeting, but wisdom never fades it grows stronger each day
Jade

Post by Jade »

Its an important part of Chooks morning that he has a shower with me. He sulks if I won't let him in. Afterwards, its imperitive that he be dried off with the hairdryer on full heat setting.
Ducky

bath time

Post by Ducky »

ducky will sit and scream at me it when I vacuum the living room until i get out a big bowl of water on the kitchen table for her . then she goes to town making the table wet all over
webvixen

Post by webvixen »

like ducky my birds love to have a bath when the vacuum is on, i dont really know why but as soon as i start the vac one of them will be in their big water dish. the others will just watch and wait till it is their turn
has anyone else noticed this???????
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

That is SO weird... my babies love the vacuum too and for months I use to put them away before vacuuming because I didnt want to scare them.

Something about that particular noise seems to make them happy and hyper. So glad you mentioned that. So, looks like this is a thing among IRN's. They love to hear a vacuum. Now, we just have to GET them to vacuum. :lol:
~ Mikaela Sky

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Kai tries to bath in his drinking water.. sigh! ..

The only time he will lay in a bowl of water is when I take him away from his cage and play in it with him, splashing my hand around in it and flicking him with water, he loves it, joins right in.

Or I put him on his stand and spray him with warm water, he loves that too. I dry him with the blow dryer too, he enjoys that so much, gets all warm, snuggly and dreamy.

I have started taking him into the bathroom with me to get use to the shower, hope to have him showering before too long.

But i still catch him bathing in his drinking water :shock: iriot bird !
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Jade

Post by Jade »

do you guys see the correlation between the noise of the vacuum and the hairdryer? They would probably love jet engines too!!
~*Gwennie*~

Re: bath time

Post by ~*Gwennie*~ »

Ducky wrote:ducky will sit and scream at me it when I vacuum the living room until i get out a big bowl of water on the kitchen table for her . then she goes to town making the table wet all over

my louis does the same, when I vaccuum he bathes via water dish. It makes me laugh.
~the stubborn one~
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

ditto zazu does the exact same thing thats weird i thought in was unique
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Im glad 'my baby' doesnt bathe in her food dish and awful stuff like that.

She is perfect, never does anything wrong.

*Behind Momma's back*

Ack! Hey Ma, just getting a drink, uhm, yeah... a drink. I wasnt doin' nuffin. See how innocent I look?

Perfect little angel. She accidently fell in. :roll:

I suppose alot like my ex just happen to have tripped and fallen into my friend. I have pics of that too. :twisted:
~ Mikaela Sky

jos_rulz1311

Post by jos_rulz1311 »

my baby storm loves it when we wash his cage we usually put a container full of water . :D
fiona

Post by fiona »

i wonder if they associate the loud noises with thunder which a lot of times complements a rain storm?
annaham

Post by annaham »

Bert likes to come in the shower with me or Justin, or even better both of us (then there are two heads to jump back and forth from!). He likes to open his wings and he closes his eyes and we flick him with the water, he loves it so much, and after that he likes to rub his face on our wet hair so that as much of him as possible is wet, and then he stands by the window to dry off.

As you may be able to tell, hes only about 8 months old. Also, I'm not so sure about the loud noises... Justin is mowing the lawn right now and he's not looking so happy about it!!!
LAAnnie

vaccuum/bath thing

Post by LAAnnie »

I thought my bird was the only one who did that. For some reason, when I use the dust-buster (hand vac) to clean around her cage, that's the signal for her to take a bath.
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

I am going to break out the vacum as soon as I get home!
Donna

Post by Donna »

I have to take all water bowls out when I vacum because of all the bathing. If I don't I'll be toast someday. Nothing like the trill of being electricuted as I do my daily chores. LOL
Donna
CarolinaWren

Post by CarolinaWren »

well, Willie doesn't bathe when i vacuum, but he raises plenty of hell!! sits upon his play gym & WILL NOT hush up ... you know, them ear-piercing boy IRN sounds?!?!! i thunk that he wuz skeert ... wrong again!! he DOES bathe in his drinkin water but ONLY :?: when DaddyCakes is sittin here working on the 'puter (2 feet away from his cage) ... now tell me, WUT IZZAT ABOUT :?: :?: it's REALLY too funny, cuz Johnny just gets soaked right along with him! i tried putting a larger bowl of water (stainless steel) up there & he just couldn't care less! LOVES the spray bottle, room temp ... LOVES the shower, warm ... and now, LOVES his drinking dish, but ONLY when Daddy's on the 'puter!! :roll:

luv,
Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all

Emily Dickinson