If An IRN Has White Feathers Coming In Does This Mean Female

Moderator: Mods

countrygal_cc

If An IRN Has White Feathers Coming In Does This Mean Female

Post by countrygal_cc »

Hello I was showing this lady I work with some pics of cupcake. She used to have a yellow irn like cupcake and her's was a male she noticed in this pic cupcake has some white feathers, she said her male didn't have white feathers she was wanting me to ask you guys if you think cupcake might be a female cause of the white feathers that is coming through. Can a male get white feathers too like cupcake is doing? Let me know what you guys think, misty

Park outside where the air is cool...
Raja's_mom

Post by Raja's_mom »

I'm not sure if it has anything todo with the sex of the bird but I do know that if a bird is not getting the proper nutrition or is stessed out sometime their feathers will fade out and if cupcake where my bird I would take her in for a check up just in case she lacking something in her diet.
julie

Post by julie »

Indie has white flight feathers and he isn't sick (assuming that is what you are referring to).
Fah

Post by Fah »

For a lutino to have visualy pure white flights is not normal for a lutino bird. It is normal to have a very pale yellow flights, or to have stronger yellow flights.

I have never seen a lutino bird have pure white flights and as much as a bird can be healthy visually, does not mean it is healthy nutritionally even if its just lacking a few small things.

If it is a very pale yellow... I would not be concerned at all, however a pure white flight is not normal. Unless the parents of this bird also carry this trait, I would take it in for a simple blood analysis at your vet so they can tell you whats up.

I have seen many a healthy happy bird lack a few key vitamins that seem to show a new, curious or odd mutation, where given just a few key things, returned to normal next moult.

Note: I have been harassing a few friends about the sunlight their birds get. If you do not have your bird outside now and then or have access to direct light through windows etc... you need to get a cheap UV-A/UV-B light for indoors. You will be amazed at the quality of their feathers and the length of healthy life your indoor pets will have with these provisions.

Purely indoor birds does not equal a healthy bird without sunlight / artificial uv-a/uv-b lighting regardless of their diet.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

My Male lutino Jordan has white flight feathers. Mickey our female lutino also has white flight feathers. That is very normal for lutino's as far as i am concerned.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Fah

Post by Fah »

Ah cool. I have never come across a white flight feathered lutino thats all not with any of the breeders in Adelaide at any rate. I have seen them quite near white... though not white like a creamino might have etc...

Can people actually get some good pics of their lutino's showing the pure white flights? Would be curious to know whats going on and the difference between those lutino's and ours locally.

If we are talking about white like this birds flights... cept not a creamino.. then I am very intersted in actually seeing it in detail... if it is actually a "pure white" flight and not a "offwhite / yellow white" I know myself and several others would be interested in chasing up a line of lutino with pure white flights........

This is about as "white" as a normal lutino would appear...

Last edited by Fah on Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

I will have to get pics of my lutino's on here. They both have white flights,not off white , but pure white
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Fah

Post by Fah »

Great, I would be interested in seeing them thats for sure... maybe even chasing up a pair myself.

The contrast of rich yellow with pure white flights would be something of a sight thats for sure.

This is what the lutino's we down here have seen / access to.

Oh and sorry this has gone offtopic >.< It has nothing to do with male or female... there is no visual way of telling what sex and IRN is :/
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

I love the white under the beak that wraps around to the red at the back, in Jordan's ring it is very strong, just like the black is in the greens and blues
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

julie

Post by julie »

Indies flight feathers are definitely white, I will have to see if I can get a pic of them.
Fah

Post by Fah »

Yeah, would be cool to actually see a really good pic of the flights of these fellas. Never seen in person or in photo's on the net of a lutino with pure white flights like a creamino... seems odd i cant find anything on the net then again there isnt alot out there.
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Well it will be hard to get the wing flights of jordan as he is clipped .. just gotta find time and remember to try and get some pics. Mickey is a little wild and untame so hard to capture her. Gimme time I will eventually get one .. I might go have a look at what images I have on dropshots.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless