a question about biting

Moderator: Mods

Pioneer

a question about biting

Post by Pioneer »

Hello,

My ringneck is such a sweet bird but he's also quite moody with his biting. 50% of the time he'll let me scratch him, pat him and like it, the other 50% of the time he attacks :P -not always- hard, but its more of a defensive sort of thing.

He really hates being on the floor, and the pet shop i bought him from clipped his wings so i guess thats why he hates the floor. But the question i have is: every time he bites me hard and it hurts, I say NO and put him on the floor. because he hates that and he knows the only way he's getting up off the floor is by stepping up on my finger... is that a good idea? or will that cause problems later on? He's no where near 6 months of age so i know its not bluffing.

He loves his cage (and can be a bit possessive of it actually) so I don't want to put him in his cage when he's been naughty, he'll probably see that as a reward. I just want to know if you guys think I'm doing the right thing or not.
tiggerbewa

Post by tiggerbewa »

Charli has his nippy moments I usually just ignore it and let him hang with me anyway. I just dont antagonize him when he is in a mood. If he starts out nippy and doesnt want to be touched that is just fine. I will let him wander around and jump up and down from my shoulder as much as he pleases. Then he tends to relax and gets a little more cuddly. I dont take it personally at all.
nil

Post by nil »

hi

how many time do you have him?
i think he is in a new enviroment so is afraid and chary, for this reason likes his cage.
if he is 6 months old is usual and normal to bit.
you must be patient with him and give him time to learn the enviroment and you, is a new life for him.
dont push him to go out of his cage if he doesnt like it.
wait and try to build a strong relationship between you and charli, talk to him, give him treats and toys....
penalties arent solution
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hey Pioneer,

I know exactly what you mean. After my Archimedes became sexually mature he changed. As a baby, I could hold him any way I liked. Now I get bitten when he does not want to be held. He’ll pin his eyes at me and say, “What’s the matter.” After that he’ll hold his claw up. This clearly means to leave him alone.

I gently place him back in his cage and let him cool down. No need to place him on the floor or create excess stress. The best remedy is to simply ignore it. By ignoring this behavior you’ll develop a confident bird that will feel more secure and will hopefully lead to less sessions of nippiness.

Just be patient and take things a step at a time. Ringnecks are spunky and quite unique.

Hope this helps, :wink:

Imran

P.S. On another note, if you do not wish to place him back in his cage—just go about your business with him and ignore the behavior. Words should only be spoken for positive reinforcement—never for punishment.