eye infection?

Moderator: Mods

swanwillow

eye infection?

Post by swanwillow »

my females eye has never looked.. right. I figured okay, shes just blind. So I let it go...

I don't mess with them altogether TOO much, but today I realized that it looks cloudy, and a little puffy... Its been slowly getting cloudier and cloudier, and it took til today for me to realize that its actually REALLY cloudy.

trip to the vet in order? you betcha! so, since I'll be paying an arm and a leg for that, anyone think of anything else I should have her check for?
Donna

Post by Donna »

Could be eye inclusions.

The most common inclusions are basically skin cells that grow into the tissue of the cornea. They don't usually effect anything and are usually not even treated.

With some birds it is congenital and some inclusions may have been there since birth. They don't usually get any worse. So a question would be whether or not these have been noticed before or missed in previous exams. Another question would be whether or not your vet wants to monitor them to see if they go away or get worse.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

interesting... I started reading on that, not much info though.. something about Cytomegalovirus, but thats all thats mentioned. I'll have to ask. I just recently bought these birds.. well, 4 months or so ago. SO I really have no background, other than yes, her eye looked funny before; shes also the one that is missing her toes...
nil

Post by nil »

the signs that you mettion is not enough to find the problem.
I think only a avian vet is the solution
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

well, I figured out the problem. I moved them last week out into the kitchen, in hopes that they get more used to people. In return, I can see them more (and sneak them bites of broccoli-they LOVE broccoli!)
ANYWAY. its the male.. hes beating the bejeezus outta her! He tried pulling on her wing, to get her to stay on a perch and I watched in amazement for 4 minutes.. to see if she would stop him or retalliate... nope, poor thing, I finally broke it up.

And I got to watch him attack her face... so, while hes doing all the lovey-dovey stuff, hes also beating her up.
two faced monster! she now has a scab next to her eye, which is clearing up. So, I'm at a loss as to what to do; do I break them up? If yes, do I wait until breeding season to re-introduce? DO I re-introduce, or should I find a mellower male and a outgoing female for the respective pair?

edit; Shes starting to be interested in the nestbox now too... and the whole time I've had them, he regurgitates for her, head bobs, and does little dances. But won't let her eat, drink, or be friendly to me... If I give her a chunk of broccoli, he steals it, throws it on the floor, then takes the next piece I hand them and eats it.
Donna

Post by Donna »

I think I would separate them for now maybe for ever. Think about getting him a female that is more aggressive. It usually is the female that calls all the shots and has a headache until breeding season. These two are not compatible at all with each other. Did you buy this pair as a proven pair? I just find it hard to believe that if they were bonded and proven in the past they would be acting this way toward each other. My pairs get into little squabbles but they have never inflicted any wounds.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

I bought them as an unproven pair. I'll get out the gloves and separate tomorrow then.. good thing I have extra cages! I was actually thinking she might make a good pet... shes so timid, but takes food so nice compared to his trying to kill you attitude. Which, I think points to him being a previous pet in his early years; no fear of people!
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:( I hope the eye heals soon. Poor lil girl. I thought the females were the more aggressive. :shock:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

well, I didn't separate them.
I know, I know :oops: but.. the next day.. and every day since my last post.

Shes in the nest box!!! 8)

SO I ain't gonna move them. Shes coming out for food and drink, and hes leaving her alone. And other than attacking everyone through the cage, Relish is being a good boy. If he gets to close, shes starting to get possessive over the hole, and chases him away. Shes also getting more assertive at ME which is unusual for her. I have the male pretty tamed now, he'll see me making supper, and wait.. wait.. we sit down for dinner, and BAM hes screaming for me to feed him; hes a good broccoli eater (we eat a LOT of broccoli since its one of the few veggies both my boys like) So hes taking food nice from my fingers.

Her eye looks better in the past few days. I have the 2 'small' cages on standby though, just in case something happens.
nil

Post by nil »

but be careful, he may even kill her, and it is strange, usual females attack males
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

yup, I get to watch them. Shes starting to get more aggressive, sooo..

like I said, the other separation cages are within reach!
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

FWIW-separated.

I moved their cage 2 feet to the right (easier access and more sunlight) and he started attacking her.

Took me about 10 minutes, but I got him. He's in a smaller cage, I left her in the big cage... We'll see what happens from here. If she gets more used to her cage without a male, and therefore becomes more aggressive?

Or if his darn flock calling doesn't stop :evil: Ugh, he was throwing himself at the cage, trying to get to her. He's louder than my eclectus!
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

*sighs*

still separated. I can't believe its only been 2 weeks! The female is acting, well, bratty. Shes now biting, flying, nasty little joy! The male just perches on that side of the cage, watching and flock calling to her. She mostly ignores it, until he makes a certain noise, then she'll call back. :lol:

Hopefully thats a good sign. AND her eye looks GREAT! shes looking really good right now. 2 more weeks, maybe a month, and we'll see where we are.
nil

Post by nil »

i think they are in a good way.
i am waitng for the good news