Help Breeding hen

Moderator: Mods

rick_s0910

Help Breeding hen

Post by rick_s0910 »

Hi everyone,

One of my hens has 5 clear eggs, which she has been incubating for about 3 weeks. She is in a cage with an other hen. I will be recieving 2 males next week. My question is: Should I take away the eggs so that she can be ready for the male? Will she lay again? What should I do? I have other hens avaliable; should I set up the male with one of the other ones instead?

Thanks,

Rick
Cindy

Clear Eggs are lack of calcium

Post by Cindy »

Rick, DO NOT breed this hen yet. It couuld cause egg binding or soft shelled eggs that will break inside of her...You need to get this birds calcium intake way up. Might even need a trip to the vet for a calcium shot...Feed her brocoli, ROMAINE lettuce, kale, green things, but NO spinach or parsley as these are calcium up take blockers...Also you can scrape cuttlebone over her soft foods and get some Calciboost Powder from http://www.allbirdproducts.com/newprodu ... ....Please do not let her lay again until you boost this calcium.
Cindy M. and the Flock of 8
rick_s0910

Post by rick_s0910 »

Thanks for the info. Good to know before I made a BIG mistake.
Jay

Post by Jay »

Don't worry too much about calcium deficiency. By the time the hen lays another clutch of eggs, more than a month would have lapsed especially if it is paired with another male. There's enough time to recover calcium. Breeders do this all the time in their attempt to double-clutch their pairs.

As a supplement to Cindy's suggestion, feed cheese, seeds&nuts (in moderation), and hard-boiled eggs including shell.