It must be egg time I have questions!!

Moderator: Mods

Cindy

It must be egg time I have questions!!

Post by Cindy »

Happy New Year to all!! I have egg questions...Mrs. B my rescued IRN is getting nesty, I think, not sure...Now that she is eating well and has regained her trust in people she has started to explore the house...The other day while on the floor she started to grab some white hand towels and pull at them, scrunch them up in a pile, roll on them, tunnel UNDER them, sit on them...Is this nesting behaviour for an IRN?.....I was not sure, so I cut a box down to about 4 inches on the sides, put in shredded newspaper and 2 white hand towels...Now she gets into the box and arranges everything, sits in there sometimes, rolls on her back and is protective of the box...What do you all think, nesty bird?....If she lays they won't be fertile and I will just leave them until she gets tired...However, is there anything special I need to do for her? I am adding Calciboost twice a week to her water dish, she wont touch a cuttlebone...She has also started eating some of the green veggies that she never eats: romaine lettuce spines and broccoli, oranges too......So tell me, what do I need to expect, how long will she sit, and anything I am forgetting?
Cindy M. and the Flock of 8
Bird crazy

Haven't got a clue

Post by Bird crazy »

But will keep all this in the back of my mind for the future when I encounter it. Sounds wonderful to watch
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Hmm, so Magellan is showing no signs of nesting (and all the other breeds certainly are) and is not showing any signs of a ring. Guess s/he is just too spoiled to remember to act hormonal!
MCS
Donna

Post by Donna »

Cindy if you don't have a male for her and you don't plan on breeding her I wouldn't give her a box to nest in. I don't think it's a good idea to encourage egg laying if their not breeders. This could lead to eggbinding if she is not a breeder.

Donna
LAAnnie

Post by LAAnnie »

My female IRN PeeGee exhibited the same behavior, and last week she laid an egg, in spite of my best efforts to discourage her nesting. This must be nesting season.
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Definitely -- my canaries, finches and budgies have all had eggs in the last month!
MCS
Cindy

Nope No eggies yet!

Post by Cindy »

Nope no eggies yet,, I have put a half cut box in the bottom of her cage with shredded paper and her 2 towels in it..She goes down and mess with the towels, but no eggs yet...I decided that if she is going to lay, then ok, she is going to lay...I learned from my female cockatiel that when she decided to lay, she did..Not much you can do if they are determined...Plus, the cockatiel didn't have a box, so she broke one...Then went on to lay another to replace the broken one, plus her usually other 4...This gave her a clutch of 5, her normal clutch size.......So far the lovebirds, both males, are having the HAPPY on the corner of their Happy Hut. The male budgie is chasing the female and this time she is thinking about it...The cockatiels are separated and Albert would breed anytime of year day or night...Abby is now rooming with one of her 4 mth old babies, so (I hope) she will not lay this spring....Luna My male ringneck, has fallen in love with a red bell, any red bell...Dance, beak knocks, coos and bites the HELL out of anyone that touches it....Of course Mrs. B the other ringneck,,,,she still throws her head back, sits low on the perch, coos with tail pointed down as just wants to be body petted...Oh, God, its only January, but you would think spring has sprung in Arizona.
Cindy M. and the Flock of 8
Bird crazy

Better than tv

Post by Bird crazy »

People say tv is all about sex now days but darn if your flock hasn't got them beat.

I love to watch them interact and do their little male/female dances.
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat