Hello Everyone :)

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Shelby

Hello Everyone :)

Post by Shelby »

I wanted to introduce myself and say how glad I am to have found your forum. Last December I became the new guardian of a beautiful, solid yellow IRN named Shelby. She will be 17 next year and the lady I got her from had her from an egg.. so she went from a long long time home to a new place with lots going on and it took her quite a while to settle in. At first she was ok, kind of like "ok cool.. a sleepover.. I can do this". Then it was like she realized she was stuck with us and boy was she a pissy birdy.. :? I kept patient with her though, didn't push her and after about 6 months or so she decided I was pretty "ok" and started flying back to my shoulder.. now she spends a good bit of her time walking around on the couch, playing with my hair and necklace, chuckling to herself and terrorizing the cats.. which she's quite accomplished at lol

She doesn't talk, but she will mutter to herself.. or when she's wanting attention she will hunker down on her feet, nearly close her eyes, flutter her wings and cluck... she's such a tart lol :roll: She also dunks EVERYTHING and I had to giggle at the post on the board on "dunkers". Gosh she makes a mess.. it is kind of funny tho to give her a cracker and watch her try to carry this huge cracker in her beak, up the side of the cage and around to her water.. where she splashes it and then eats :lol:

~*Donna*~
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Hi there and welcome! Sounds like your Shelby is a typical IRN :P Wow I think you may own one of the oldest IRNs I've ever heard of...most of us here only own babies, or 1-2 year olds

We love pics! *hint hint*

Dani
Shelby

Post by Shelby »

lool :) I'll have to get some good pics of her.

I know I should probably know this, but how old do they typically live? She's definitely a character :)
~*~Donna~*~

Owned by:
Shelby - 16 year old IRN Girly
Rafael - 2 year old Sun Conure Dude

and more Arabian horses and cats than I wanna count!
Bird crazy

A true adult

Post by Bird crazy »

So glad to hear of a full adult with a good home and that it is working out so well for you.

Of course if you could teach the cats to type there may be another opinion on that one :lol:

If I remember correctly the life span is in the 30's so you have many many years of fun ahead.

Welcome to you both.
And have you read the post about making wine? :lol:
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Shelby

Post by Shelby »

haha making wine? No.. I'll have to try to find that one :)
~*~Donna~*~

Owned by:

Ed Loschi

Seventeen years is great.

Post by Ed Loschi »

17 year old Irn is fantastic, you have a special liitle pal and her behaviors and ability to adapt to her new home is going to make her a great companion.
I have always heard that the typical Irn lifespan is 20 to 30y; so in human (American female) years she is about 68yo, good for all ya'll.
Shelby

Post by Shelby »

Thanks! She's a doll when she's not being a moody cow lol Mostly she's a doll though. She's sure attached herself to my husband and myself both, tho much moreso to me.. she likes to sit on his shoulder but doesn't like for him to fuss her or pet her.. with me she just goes all mushy and soppy and completely limp :) I worried about getting an older one but I took her as a favor for a friend and don't regret it at all. If anything it's made me ready for a younger bird with more issues when I finally get around to getting one. I almost think I'd love to have another IRN actually :)
~*~Donna~*~

Owned by:

~*Gwennie*~

Post by ~*Gwennie*~ »

hello and welcome to you both :)
~the stubborn one~