Flock talk time

Moderator: Mods

SunniDai

Flock talk time

Post by SunniDai »

You cannot tell from this picture, but this is our evening Flock Talk time. It is actually QUITE loud :lol:
Now, to my question, and maybe the breeders out there can answer this more readily, I don't know. Do ringnecks usually stick with their own colors? Now that my flock is becoming more accustomed to each other, I have begun to notice a few things. Oscar and Luna, of course, very bonded. When we first brought them home, Sunni wanted to be friends with them (she was less than a year old at the time). However, they wanted nothing to do with that, so they kind of scared her away from them, then ignore and snub. Enter Olive (pretty certain we've rethought the whole name of Oliver because of the displays we've been seeing lol). At first, almost didn't seem to even see the others. Just clumsily made her way through the day. As she has begun to mature, though, and we have seen more hen-like displays from her, she seems to be sticking closer to the other greens and begun chasing Sunni away if she gets too close to them. As you can see from the pic, they are all sharing the tree while she looks on from another perch a few feet away.
Anywho, long-windedness aside, is it normal for them to shun others of different colors?
~Dana

MissK

Re: Flock talk time

Post by MissK »

Well, from my limited (to TWO) experience, I'm going to say it doesn't matter. Also we do so frequently hear of mixed colour pairings. Once again, breeders have the big experience to answer this question.
-MissK