RingNeck Green Parrot does not eat fruit....

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

ashwin

RingNeck Green Parrot does not eat fruit....

Post by ashwin »

Hi
My RingNeck Green Parrot does not eat fruit and drink water routinely. I am nourishing it from the baby when it was 2 or 3 months old. From the beginning it used to eat white boiled rice any kind of rice it may.. it eats (sambar rice, curd rice, noodles, dosai) what ever we eat for breakfast and dinner it also adapted to that habit. While we sit for eating it uses to come near us and it starts asking for food and that too it requires variety food at a time. 1st it eats sambar rice and then it asks for curd rice and then it also eats chips.. It likes to eat these kind of food.. it does not shows interest in fruits.. It rarely drinks water. once or twice in a week. I want to make it healthy and fleshy is there any problem to change the eating habits..
MissK

Re: RingNeck Green Parrot does not eat fruit....

Post by MissK »

Hi. The best way to encourage your bird to eat different food is for you to eat it in front of the bird and share. Maybe you can smash some fruit or vegetables in with the rice and let the whole family eat some with breakfast, and give to the bird as well. Maybe you can put some on the edge of a chip and let him try the chip that way.

You can also arrange some food like a toy for your bird. If you have any toys that are made from paper, maybe you can exchange a leaf for the paper and let him play with it. Your bird should like some of what we in USA call Garbanzo Bean. If you cook this and give to him, maybe he will like it for a toy, like a ball, and maybe will pick it up and taste some. He should also like Corn/Maize. This is very popular with all my birds, though it is not as nutritious as beans or leaves. If your bird has a toy he loves, you could put some food in or on that toy.

Let us know what you try and how it works.
-MissK
ashwin

Post by ashwin »

Hi Miss K....
Thanks for your concerned advise and suggestion.. I would follow your said practices and let you know with in a couple of days...

Thanks...
Ashwin
ashwin

Post by ashwin »

Hi missK
Now it has started eating beans..but not fully...i think it just plays with it and eats only small bit
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hey, that is progress. Keep encouraging him. Try to get him to like dark green vegetable leaves. You can wet the leaf and hang it inside the cage to promote interest. Hang it low if he is afraid or new things in the cage. If he is really not happy with new things in the cage then you hang it very low on the outside. Eventually he can reach through the bars to pick at it.
-MissK
ashwin

Post by ashwin »

ok I will do that.....and let u know later about the progress..

thanks..