1st bird owner needs HELP!

Moderator: Mods

Steve3781

1st bird owner needs HELP!

Post by Steve3781 »

Hey there! I've just found this forum and thought this would be a good place to seek advice.

I've been given a Indian ring neck form a friend he told me he didn't have the room to keep him but I think it there was definitely another reason he didn't want him anymore. We've had him a couple months now and he is basically very aggressive and does not like anyone to go near his cage. He bites anything near him when someone approaches and is normally followed by loud screams. I've been told i`m his 3rd owner and he's 2yrs old I think he's male as he's called Bob but i'm not sure. Changing his food, cleaning his cage and so on is very difficult and I'm worried he will hurt himself the way he bites at his bars and toys. My friend tells me that his 1st owner never let him out the cage but when he got him he let him out a lot and he was even able to handle him but then had to give him up.We regularly let him out of the cage to fly around the room and altho he's never tried to attack me or the kids he does scream quite a lot normally when he lands on something. He flies back into the cage no bother when it suits him but i'm just unsure as to what is normal behaviour.

He's a lovely bird and we would love to be able to handle him eventually but its getting to a stage now where we might have to give him up which i really don't want to do because its not fair for him to be moved about so much, I really wanted us to be his last family but i'm scared 1 of the kids might get too close to him 1 day and get a nasty bite.

Any help or advice on how I could start to gain his trust and be able to handle him is very welcome I only hope Because of his age and past treatment he's not a lost cause!!!
InTheAir

Re: 1st bird owner needs HELP!

Post by InTheAir »

Welcome,

He probably hasn't really learnt how to interact with people over his life so far and as a result is still scared.
Luckily, parrots are good learners so you can change his views.

It's great that he goes back to his cage on his own already. That's a bonus! I have to resort to a complex foraging/bribery system to convince our bird he wants to go in his cage!

There is heaps of good information on this site, and many people have asked similar questions and received detailed answers. Here's a link to explain the search function on this site http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=17649 I would recommend starting your search with the example in there.
Other terms that are important to general parrot welfare are 'foraging' (Ellieelectrons has written some great info on this) and 'feed' (Melika has written a guide to this topic). This should help you find some reasonably healthy treats that you can use for positive reinforcement.

Outside this site; I just read this blog the other day and found it very informative: http://learningparrots.com/blog/category/training/ that site also has great links!

Regards,
Claire