Phases of Maturity

Moderator: Mods

JConvry

Phases of Maturity

Post by JConvry »

I've been working with my male IRN Jones for the last year or so.

I have noticed that as he matures, his comprehension has been getting a lot better.

What I mean by this is that he seems to be developing more of a capacity for bonding, problem solving, talking, willingness to try new foods, and well just about everything...

I suppose that like most complex organisms, ringnecks become 'deeper' as they mature.

Jones is about 18 months old (I think... I'd have to look). His ring isn't even developed yet.

I was wondering if anyone could think back to recall the phases of maturity that their ringneck went through from about this time to full adulthood and give me some ideas of what I can look forward to. And perhaps any advice on how to best enjoy the bird and make him as happy as he can be.

In particular, was there a point in time where your ringneck's bond to you got a lot stronger? (kind of like how teenagers/young adults want to get away from their parents, then return to the 'nest' later and want to be more involved with their parents)

Maybe I'm just overthinking the whole thing. :)

Thanks,
Jason
Melika

Re: Phases of Maturity

Post by Melika »

Remembering when Hane was first learning to walk, to use his foot to hold food, the first time he tried to scratch his head, the time he got a pellet stuck in his nostril because he was an idiot, the time I thought he was bleeding out because his water and foot were red (turned out to be a wooden bead he had decided to dunk and play with, soon followed by an assortment of colours all dying his feet/water), etc. Hane definitely matured and changed a lot since then. I remember the first time I tried to get him to forage. He couldn't for the life of him figure it out. I used to have to open his peanuts for him!

Now any foraging toy I give him is almost instantly figured out. Even the store-bought puzzle ones that are supposed to be difficult.

As far as bonding, I don't think how he views me changed very much. I mean, it went from 'parent' to 'bringer of food' and a flock-mate, but I don't think he got closer to me. It was I that became closer to him. It took a few years for me to let him in, as I had had birds die several times before (mostly of natural causes, two of animal attacks) so I didn't get too attached. He was just another bird, albeit a cool one. Now I would be very sad indeed if I lost him. :)

The relationship between us changes, of course, as would be expected for one that goes on so long and through life changes. For instance, I got a new dog, I went to school for massage, my schedule changed a lot, Hane's brother died, and eventually I got married (when Hane was around seven years of age) and moved at the same time. Our relationship is constantly changing, as it should, and will continue to do so.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay