Lovebird Question

Moderator: Mods

Camarge

Lovebird Question

Post by Camarge »

Sorry, not a Ringneck, but it is a mutation question for all Lovebird breeders

Any idea what mutation this roseicollis is?

What I can see is Orange Face Opaline, but the body colour is a dilute green, greener than Pallid, the primaries are light grey in colour, with a grey shaft and the secondaries are light blue. The orange is the head and tail is brighter than normal too

I don't see Cinnamon in the mix, and if it was a Pallid Cinnamon, I would expect it to be lighter in colour, and some signs of brown somewhere

Apparently....Your post looks too spamy for a new user, please remove off-site URLs. so I cannot post a pic....
Camarge

Re: Lovebird Question

Post by Camarge »

How many posts do I need to have before I can post a pic?
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Must be a member for 5 days with 10 posts. If you want I can post the pic for you. Email it to me arcticwolf1975@ hotmail dot com

Just replace the dot with .
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Camarge

Post by Camarge »

Skyes_crew wrote:Must be a member for 5 days with 10 posts. If you want I can post the pic for you. Email it to me ....cannot even post the quote...

Just replace the dot with .
Great thank you, email sent
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Camarge's photo

Camarge

Post by Camarge »

Thank you Skyes
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

No problem :)

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I'm changing my opinion. I agree with Tienie below.
Last edited by Skyes_crew on Tue May 28, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

IMO it is an orange face pallid opaline

Is it a hen ? and from what combination bred?

Tienie
Camarge

Post by Camarge »

Carr.birds wrote:IMO it is an orange face pallid opaline

Tienie
Thanks Tienie, Pallid was my first thought too, but the bird is a lot greener than my normal Pallids.

It is a ss 2011 male.... the bird was purchased together with an OF Opaline male and Normal Green hen, said to be nestmates from an Normal/Opaline x Opaline pair
Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Camarge

You must compare pallid opaline birds and not this bird with a pallid. IMO the other mutation that can be involved is edged dilute, but it look different to what my pallid edged dilute opaline's looked like. Unfortunately I sold all my Roseicollis and only kept the Fishers, therefore I can't help you with new pics.

My last option will be orange face pallidino opaline, but then it must be a cock and his parents must have been something like green/opaline/lutino & pallid opaline or green/opaline/pallid & lutino opaline.

violet dblue pallidino/opaline and his violet dblue/ino & dark pallid opaline/blue parents

Tienie
Last edited by Carr.birds on Tue May 28, 2013 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
madas

Post by madas »

Carr.birds wrote: (sapphire line as I don't believe blue exist)
Tienie
In Roseicollis there is no true blue locus. Birds which look completly blue were out of line breed turquoise birds.
Unfortunately i can't help with the topic question. :(

madas
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Carr.birds wrote:IMO it is an orange face pallid opaline

Tienie
Let me just be clear from the start, I haven't bred roseicollis in years, so take this with a good sized pinch of salt.

@Camarge, does the bird have a black or a dark red eye? I can't tell from the photo.

@Tienie, don't you think the body colour is a bit too dark for the combination you mention? I agree on the orange face and opaline, but not sure about pallid in the mix as well.

Furthermore, is anyone aware if the pastel mutation has featured yet in roseicollis? If the bird has a black eye, it might also be orange face pastel opaline. Even if not, that combination would be a marvel to behold! :D
bennjamin

Post by bennjamin »

A single violet factor will darken the green and increase the depth of orange I have noticed.
Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Johan

You can't compare the phenotype of pallid vs pallidino in IRN's with Roseicollis. To my surprise there isn't a big difference between pallid and pallidino in Roseicollis. The same for Splendid parakeets. A pallid Roseicollis's eye is dark red as mentioned by you but darkens very quickly within 10 days imo.

If the bird in question is a cock I would stick with orange face pallidino opaline. Easy to proof by pairing him with a lutino opaline hen

Tienie
Camarge

Post by Camarge »

Thank you to all for the contributions

Tienie, your violet dblue pallidino/opaline is stunning
If the bird in question is a cock I would stick with orange face pallidino opaline. Easy to proof by pairing him with a lutino opaline hen
I will follow your advice and pair him to a Lutino Opaline hen
Camarge

Post by Camarge »

Johan S wrote:
@Camarge, does the bird have a black or a dark red eye? I can't tell from the photo.
Eyes are dark... these differ from my normal Pallids which show a dark brown to plum colour when a photo is taken with a flash

Last edited by Camarge on Thu May 30, 2013 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Camarge

Post by Camarge »

bennjamin wrote:A single violet factor will darken the green and increase the depth of orange I have noticed.
Thanks bennjamin, I agree, it should also intensify the blue tinge on the rump, and I do not see that in this bird, in fact it seems to have a diluted effect