Help pls

Moderator: Mods

melski84

Help pls

Post by melski84 »

Hi i have a 5 week old IRN, i had to remove it from the nesting box because the parent weren't feeding them, we had 2 but the other one died, i was just wondering if anyone can tell me how much a baby ringneck at this age should weigh?? he eats about 8ml of formula every feed, i have been looking after him since monday but he is still difficult to feed :? . When i took him to the vet they said he was very skinny, but reasonably healthy.
rod038

Re: Help pls

Post by rod038 »

The amount you are feeding sounds pretty good and that should be every 4 to 5 hours from morning to night. Last feed around 10pm first feed around 6am.
I dont generally hand raise but was in your situation as well and had to pull 2 chicks from the nest the third one unfortunately died before I pulled them. They were 28 and 29 days. The youngest weighed 59g and the oldest 93g when I brought them inside. Now at 5 weeks (34+35 days) on the youngest weighs 99g and the oldest 130g. I feed them both about the same amount you are feeding yours.
I guess this shows there can be variation. Both these chicks are healthy and not skinny at all.
melski84

Re: Help pls

Post by melski84 »

Thank you so much, i was a bit worried about his weight, my little guy weighs 91 grams at the moment, feel much better now :)