Flying inside the home? Bad navigator?

Moderator: Mods

Iloveringnecks

Flying inside the home? Bad navigator?

Post by Iloveringnecks »

Hi all! How do I make it safe for my IRN ( female lutino ) to fly in my home? She seems to be a better flier now but she doesnt seem to a 100 % know how to fly in the right direction:shock: I hold my breath if she is circulating arround in My livingroom! Should I wait until she is more "tame"? I do want her to get out of her big cage to exercise everyday but I dont want her do crash into something! We had her now for 1 month and not tame. It usually ends up with me carefully help her back in a soft towel very gently :| But she is so sweet she giggles , sqeeks qute, is very active ( give her often new toys:) ANY suggestion or idea about flight inside is highly welcome!

Jenny in Stockholm with "Loomi" the lutino female with BIG qute eyes( this IRN have quite BIG sweet eyes :P
ellieelectrons

Re: Flying inside the home? Bad navigator?

Post by ellieelectrons »

I don't have many tips but here are a two ideas:
1. draw your curtains - they may think they can fly straight through the glass
2. try having some strategically placed perches around the place so that she can discover easy landing places. If possible, you could put some food there to attract them to those places.

Ellie.
Iloveringnecks

Post by Iloveringnecks »

hi Ellie!

Thank you for the tip:)
Actually right now she ( or he, I am acutally quite sure now it,s a he,)The sweet Loomi, went CRAZY in happiness and started to pin with his eyes, dancing and tried to kiss my Iphone :lol: when he saw a female IRN on youtube! Before I though she "now a he", didn,t like other IRN,s when I showed him IRN,s with my Iphone with clips from Youtube. Loomi ( Sweet name we named the bird with that means Lemon in arabic )She or now "he" tried to bite the Iphone and went really agressive! NOW I know why, It was male IRN,s on the clips, and when I showed "him" this female IRN...hahaha...aw... IN LOVE! ( Showed him "Devri young indian ringneck female" on Youtube;)
is not flying arround for the moment, more climbing arround the cage:) He is a little cautious,
pehaps was scared after the last time, I am going to build a tree with a platform in wood.
My parents live in the country and there is a lot of "good" trees I can saw perches and make a great landing space for hin:) Thank you!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

You're very welcome. Sounds like you have a character there!

I can also say after my personal experience - is that you need to supervise them pretty well. Don't leave them unsupervised for too long out of the cage. I've always been reasonably good with supervision but I did leave Janey unattended in the laundry whilst I was in the neighbouring room and I didn't realise she was slowly chewing through an electrical cable. I'd go and check on her every few minutes and when I'd walk in, she wasn't doing it. I discovered that she was chewing through the cable when we lost power - she'd tripped the safety switch. I was very lucky she didn't get electrocuted and that she didn't cause a fire. So, do you what you can to avoid access to power cables and supervise them are my tips.... and of course all of the regular things, make sure all chemicals are in cupboards, not sitting out on benches, etc.

Ellie.
Iloveringnecks

Post by Iloveringnecks »

Hi Ellie!

Thanks for your reply and tip:)
Yes I supervise Loomi very well as he is so much more social now, he wants to fly forward to me, but he is still yet afraid to land where I am :wink: He sits on his favourite branch, a concrete branch that I bought in a petshop that is supposted to be good for a natural way to grind down the claws. This branch is attached to the large cage door on the inside so evertime I open the door, he is automatically sitting on the "outside" :) He very often outside the cage, looking at me and talks in his qute chirping way, leaning his head forward and is ready to fly forward to me, and then lift off ( but flap his wings for a while before he "dares" to fly;), circulating again over my head and fly back to the cage and screams very eagerly, especially when I praises him with " good bird, come to me, come to me :lol: What a sweetie pie :P He is a much better navigator now when he is now more familiar with our livingroom and the can also
make turns in the air now and not crashing into things:)
I think he can fly better now because of his longer tailfeathers too:) After we got him his tailfeathers really started to grow back. Maybe they work as a steering rudder?
I am happy to hear that Janey didn,t get hurt :) Yes cables can really be nasty!

Ps. Loomi seems to like to eat much things, oooh boiled broccoli that is still lukewarm is great! Or carrots, cucumber, orange, banana... it seems like this kind of bird likes almost everything! I give a lot of vegetables and fruits, and every time he gets it he "sings" after :lol:

Hugs to you and the bird!
taywer321

Post by taywer321 »

I have 3 birds that all fly around my house!! It gets hectic trying to keep track of them all but they are pretty good about it.. Before letting them out be sure there are NO CEILING FANS ON anywhere! I forgot one day to check this and almost had a heart attack when my precious baby got out and flew around, I was able to get him back to me before anything tragic happened. But its a huge danger. Otherwise, its so great to watch them fly around, they're so happy that way.