Need help on keeping IRN on shoulder in public!

Moderator: Mods

Yvette

Need help on keeping IRN on shoulder in public!

Post by Yvette »

Hey all =)

So I have my ( nearly 2yo) IRN back after 7 months, and it's like we never got separated.. He stayed with my parents for that duration and hardly talked there, but now that he's back with me he's saying everything i've ever taught him, and really is like we never had that time apart (including saying "i'm a MISS MISS!" - although he's got a ring now, so he's a boy - funny haha)

But yeah I used to be able to take him to the pizza store, or even drive around with him on my shoulder (wings clipped of course)... But he's so scared out the new outside environment! He jumps off and waddles away really fast when I go and bring the bin in... Or open the letterbox.. So i'm scared to take him out to the shop again.. I moved to the desert where there are hawks and pigging dogs. I know he would be fine if he would just stay put! He stays put doing anything in the house. Cooking, cleaning, showering, playing computer games. He's happy just sitting there playing with my hair and talking into my ear.

Anybody know any good ways of stopping him from bailing? I understand that things can be scary, but it would be ok if he didn't jump! Just wish I could convince him of that...

Thanks in advance for any advice :wink:
ellieelectrons

Re: Need help on keeping IRN on shoulder in public!

Post by ellieelectrons »

I stopped taking mine outside the house after some scary incidents such as you describe. The only way I would contemplate doing it now would be if I could harness train them (I haven't succeeded dong this yet).

Ellie.
Yvette

Post by Yvette »

Aw.. Yeah it's very scary when they do bail... If only they knew to stay put! They know when to stay put most of the time... They don't know that fight or flight when out of home means owner will fight and don't do the flight! Especially with no wings!

I'm thinking about purchasing a flight harness... But it seems a bit silly in a public place.. Perhaps i'll buy one and try it in unfamiliar, unpopulated areas first and see how he goes.. Then bring him into a more busy environment.

Thanks for your comment Ellie =)
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

The harness that I've seen as most recommended is called the aviator harness. Apparently it's designed to fit well (although it's still hard to get it on the bird) and the elastic "leash" means that your bird isn't jolted back to you if it does try to take off. I have one but I haven't been able to get them to wear it due to me pushing it a little too much too early and I freaked Janey out when it got stuck on head and she couldn't get it off. So my word of advice is to proceed very slowly.

Good luck.

Oh, and I should add, there are people who successfully take their clipped birds in public. I've just found that my two are too freaked out to do it.

Ellie.