I just got an IRN - a few general questions :)

Moderator: Mods

alec92

I just got an IRN - a few general questions :)

Post by alec92 »

Hey guys,

I got a 7 month old Indian green Indian Ringneck today which has been handfed since 6 weeks. I'm told it's a female because of the shape of its chest bones or something?
When I got it home she was a bit hesitant to jump up on to my hands but with a bit of apple she started to do as she was told, and now (2 hours later) she jumps on to my hands easily and likes to sit on my shoulders and give me a kiss.

A few questions:
1) The breeder had seeds in the cage all day long and fed her fruit and vegetables 2 times a week. I plan on feeding her a mixture of pellets and parrot seed (does half/half sound about right) at about 7am every morning and about 7pm every night - does this sound okay? Is there a certain amount I should feed her?

2) Should I continue to feed her fruit and veg only twice a week, or more like once a day?

3) She poops every 5-10 minutes. I'm not sure if this is because I fed her a lot of apple, because she's stressed or because that's just what IRNs do? I'll have to work at getting her toilet trained..

4) She's always biting her feathers and toes. I'm not sure if this is because she's stressed or she's just cleaning herself?

5) She sometimes spreads her wings out wide and screams - does this mean anything?

6) Is it okay to keep a cuttlebone in the cage all the time?

Sorry about all the questions, I just want to ensure I'm doing everything right!! :D

Melika

Re: I just got an IRN - a few general questions :)

Post by Melika »

I'll answer two of these:
alec92 wrote: 2) Should I continue to feed her fruit and veg only twice a week, or more like once a day?
Every day if you can! Veggies and fruits are the best foods. Here's a list to help you get started: http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... f=3&t=8078

alec92 wrote: 6) Is it okay to keep a cuttlebone in the cage all the time?
Yes, it is. With one possible exception. Roudybush pellets. It is suggested to not offer any additional sources of calcium when feeding Roudybush. http://www.roudybush.com/index.cfm?fuse ... nquestions
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I can answer another two of your questions.
alec92 wrote:1) The breeder had seeds in the cage all day long and fed her fruit and vegetables 2 times a week. I plan on feeding her a mixture of pellets and parrot seed (does half/half sound about right) at about 7am every morning and about 7pm every night - does this sound okay? Is there a certain amount I should feed her?
I feed my guys fresh veg and fruit daily and give them pellets. I used to give them seed one day and pellets another but my avian vet persuaded me to just give them pellets. He seemed to think that was better for them. If you do introduce pellets, you need to be sure that your bird is eating them. If they haven't had pellets before, they may not like them. There are also several brands you can try (well at least two that I have access to in Australia any way). My birds eat some pellets but mostly eat the veg and fruit. Usually, just feeding them once a day should be okay. I give my guys fresh fruit and veg and refill their pellets every morning. It's a good idea to take the fruit and veg out of the cage after a few hours - although I generally don't do this unless it's hot weather. I usually leave it in until the next day.
alec92 wrote:3) She poops every 5-10 minutes. I'm not sure if this is because I fed her a lot of apple, because she's stressed or because that's just what IRNs do? I'll have to work at getting her toilet trained..
This is very normal although the frequency does depend on what they've had to eat and drink. I haven't managed toilet training myself but the principles of it are that when your bird is with you, you watch for body language that indicates that are going to poop. Before they do it, you move them to a place you want them to poop. When they do their poop in the right place, you say "good bird" or whatever term you use to indicate they've done what you want and give them a food reward. If you do manage to toilet train your bird, this puts a huge responsibility on you... because your bird my learn to hold their poop in when they really need to go... so you need to make sure you put regularly in an appropriate place to poop so that they do not cause themselves any physical damage by holding it in.

Ellie.
happybird

Post by happybird »

I was advised by my breeder to keep seeds as a treat - a few daily at most as apparently its heavy on their kidneys and shortens their life by up to five or ten years if they eat mainly seeds.

My IRN LOVES grapes. Its quite remarkable, he will throw his other fruit all over the cage looking for grapes! If he doesnt find any, he will eat the other fruit. We try give him a few everyday but his main diet is pellets.

I was advised to give fruit in the morning. I don't really know why. We sometimes give nuts or veg in the evening bt give him a big bowl of fruit and veg in the morning. Seems to be working.