Clinging to cage to sleep

Moderator: Mods

amb4693

Clinging to cage to sleep

Post by amb4693 »

Hello, got a few questions, we just got our two new IRNs, Thursday evening, they both cling to the top back corners of the cage to sleep at night, they sleep on a perch during the day but not at night, is this normal or should I be concerned? They are my firsts! I've never seen a bird do this!
Thanks,
Ann
mikeb

Re: Clinging to cage to sleep

Post by mikeb »

that is normal i have several breeding pair some sleep on the perch and some sleep on the cage the only problem with cage sleepers is if they are outside birds in the winter time if it gets too cold they can get frost bite on their feet from not being able to cover them as when they sleep on a perch
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I had an awful thing happen with night-time cage sleepers in my aviary of lovebirds when I was a teenager. A cat came by and attacked them whilst they slept. One of the birds had his leg pulled out. It was quite horrific. Took him to the vet but it unfortunately didn't survive. He was a bird that I handraised. My father double wired the aviary after that.

Ellie.
amb4693

Post by amb4693 »

They are indoor birds, so we are safe that way! But thanks so much for the replie!!
kimijean

Post by kimijean »

I've had birds do it, mine have always been indoors, and it seems most eventually find another place to sleep. :O) How are they doing otherwise? Settling in? Can you handle them? Lol :OD

Kim
amb4693

Post by amb4693 »

Hi kim, I hope they eventually sleep on a perch, yes I think they are settling just pretty good, we took them yesterday for nail and wing clipping, the night we got them, the blue one flew into my big picture window then up to the ceiling fans which thank god were not turned on, then flew all over my house took us an hour to catch him and he supposedly had clipped wings....I think not!! But he can't fly now that much anyways....handle them????? Are we supposed to be able to do that EVER??? Lol.....we tryed and got bloody fingers with the yellow one, the blue is just way to skid dish yet, we put them in separate cages this morning and they are both eating like crazy!! Now any suggestions on when and how to go about handling them? The breeder said they were very tame and she kept them longer to make sure of this, they sure don't want to be held yet! And I want so badly to cuddle these babies, my grey came home all ready to snuggle and cuddle and still does! I'd love some tips with this breed!!!
What's the news with Mr. Zander?
Ann
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Ann
amb4693 wrote:The breeder said they were very tame and she kept them longer to make sure of this, they sure don't want to be held yet! And I want so badly to cuddle these babies, my grey came home all ready to snuggle and cuddle and still does!
When I brought my Charlie home, despite being handraised and attached to the owner of the store, he took a while to tame down. Between him not knowing us and coming to a new environment, I'd say it took me a good two months before he tamed.... but he eventually did... and more quickly than a bird that had not been handraised. Now he loves seeking me out, will fly to me, give me kisses, do tricks for me, etc. He really is a sweet little bird.

To start taming your birds, use food. Find out what their fav treats are by giving them a bowl full of different foods and watching which ones they eat first. Withdraw these from their regular diet and offer them as treats only. Your first step is to get them eating the treat from your hand between the cage bars. If they are too scared to take the treat, after trying for a minute or so, put it in their food bowl, making sure they see you do it. Each time you go to offer it, try to get them to come a little closer before they retreat... and then put it in their food bowl. Eventually, you should have them eating from your hand. That's the first thing you need to get them doing.

It's up to you, you may not want them out of the cage until they are a bit more tame... and you may want to get their wings clipped as they'll be easier to manage... Both decisions are completely up to you... there are pros and cons both ways and I completely respect people who don't believe in clipping wings.

Ellie.
kimijean

Post by kimijean »

amb4693 wrote:Hi kim, I hope they eventually sleep on a perch, yes I think they are settling just pretty good, we took them yesterday for nail and wing clipping, the night we got them, the blue one flew into my big picture window then up to the ceiling fans which thank god were not turned on, then flew all over my house took us an hour to catch him and he supposedly had clipped wings....I think not!! But he can't fly now that much anyways....handle them????? Are we supposed to be able to do that EVER??? Lol.....we tryed and got bloody fingers with the yellow one, the blue is just way to skid dish yet, we put them in separate cages this morning and they are both eating like crazy!! Now any suggestions on when and how to go about handling them? The breeder said they were very tame and she kept them longer to make sure of this, they sure don't want to be held yet! And I want so badly to cuddle these babies, my grey came home all ready to snuggle and cuddle and still does! I'd love some tips with this breed!!!
What's the news with Mr. Zander?
Ann
All of that sounds about right, lol. :O) Ellie said what I would say, but I'll add that if you don't make eye contact while offering the treat they are more likely to take it from you. :O)

I picked Xandir up today and also brought home a baby Parrotlet for a friend. :O) They are both wonderful. The p'let is still hand feeding and most likely will stay with me until weaned. Xandir is doing real well, eating, drinking, and wanting to snuggle. I would post pictures but I don't think I can yet.

Kim
amb4693

Post by amb4693 »

Awwwww I do love greys, my Quincy is a sweetheart, he's a bit nippy with me the one who loves him the most and feeds him but I think it's cause he'd like to be glued to me all day and as we all know that is just. It possible!!! I wish you the best with yours, when can we post pictures! Why are new people punished and have to wait to do so?? Do you know?
Ann