new with questions

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

laurat

new with questions

Post by laurat »

Hello,
My name is Laura and I am so glad to have found this forum, although it was a heartbreaking loss that lead me here. Sadly I recently lost my beloved Quaker, Brain. We adopted him from another family 16 yrs ago. He was never a snuggly bird, or one that liked new things, foods....but he was an excellent companion and we had a marvelous friendship and interacted and talked all day long. He had a wonder vocabulary, used language appropriately and loved to watch movies and sing and laugh along. His passing left a huge hole in our busy home.
In talking with bird people they were steering me towards IRNs, Hanhs, Senegals from our description of Brain and our lives. We typically adopt our animals and usually adopt the difficult to place, but we went to a local bird store (that has an excellent reputation) to meet diiferent birds and get a feel. They have a beautiful light blue IRN who is about 9 months. She was fabulous with the employee, sweet as can be, but seemed unhappy with both of us when we held her. Wings flapping and turning her back to me. The Hahns are tiny babies, so we were not able to meet with any. The Senegal was adorable, friendly and quiet. Stepped up happily. But there was an Alexandrine who kept eyeing my husband. He went over and this bird hopped right up. He was curious, affectionate and didn't want to step back to his perch. He was also very good with me. During our visit we went back to all the birds a few times. The behavior stayed the same in all of them. This bird is a week or two away from being weaned (if age matters).
Any thoughts? We had not been thinking of an Alexndrine, but in researching they seem like a great bird. Any thoughts on any of the above breeds? Pros cons? We normally adopt, so purchasing from a store feels odd, but it was nice to interact with such well socialzed birds...

Thank you in advance.
Laura
PepperFetouh

Re: new with questions

Post by PepperFetouh »

for the past few weeks i thought i had an IRN but thanks to your post i discovered i have a Alexandrine :P anyways my little baby stole my heart from the first day, i never like putting any of my birds in the cages no matter how big or small (except when its time for bed) so he is usually out side with me where ever i am just sitting and staring at me and sometimes tries to talk to me, one time i was busy going back and forth so i put him on the top of his cage and left he went down on the ground and walked out of his room looking for me and when he found me he just easily climbed up my pants then shirt sat on my shoulder and stayed there like it was home. he is wonderful and i would recommend this species definitely
Pepper, hawk's mommy
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I only have experience with IRNs but I think if the Alexandrine has taken to both of you that's a really good sign and I'd get it. I think Alexandrines were domesticated in Cleopatra's time so were one of the earliest examples of domesticated birds which means that overall as a breed they have the potential to be most at home living with humans. They're very smart too. I've been to this hobby home show: http://www.parrotsinparadise.net/the-show.php and they are pretty phenomenal! I think you should snap him up before someone else does!

Good luck & best wishes.

Ellie.
laurat

Post by laurat »

Thank you for your replies. We went back to visit today. The Alexandrine was still very outgoing, but the Senegal stole my heart. If my husband was home more, I believe the Alexandrine would have been his match. But I knew that the little Senegal was my match. He is home and setting in nicely. This site is great and I have learned so much about Ringnecks. Thanks so much!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

SixtyFever has a Senegal. Might be worth a private message to him.

Congrats!

Ellie.