Dad plucking 8 wk old baby

Moderator: Mods

alyce reilly

Dad plucking 8 wk old baby

Post by alyce reilly »

Hi, can anyone help me, I have a daddy plucking his 8 wk old baby, the baby fled the box and has no feather on his front and back, the plucking only started a few days ago, the cock is still feeding the baby and is not chasing him but when they sit next to each other he plucks him. This is the cocks first baby and the cock was a hand raise bird. He has been a good dad. Should I remove the nest box and the baby or will he stop once the box is removed? Any advice would be appreciated :)
rod038

Re: Dad plucking 8 wk old baby

Post by rod038 »

If the baby is feeding itself you can remove it or the Dad. Hopefully the feathers will grow back. Just keep an eye on the Dad next year and you may have to move him if he does it again.
alyce reilly

Post by alyce reilly »

Thankyou, the baby is still being feed by his parents. I'm removing the box today for I noticed the cock is still going in there after the baby has fled. If he continues to pluck can I still remove the cock and let the hen contiue to raise him? The baby is 8 weeks old so hopefully he starts to eat seed and veg soon x
rod038

Post by rod038 »

If the hen is still there I would remove the Cock bird strait away. I didnt relise the Hen was still there.