New to the site

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

niklin

New to the site

Post by niklin »

Hi, my name is Linda. We live in SC, USA. My son, Nik, just got his IR about 6 months ago. We called her, Angel, but her ring has become more distinct lately so I'm thinking Angel is a he. he is a gray ringneck. He is not very tame yet. He will come up on your arm if you put it in the cage, but if you put your hand toward him he tries to bite it. We are doing our best to give him more attention. i think he was doing better when my son was home from school, but now that he is in school all day, Angel is a bit grumpy. Angel seems to try to talk and the words we think we hear is hello and pretty bird - at least the cadence of them. Any suggestions for care...i'd love to have them. We just bought a new cage and he seems to really enjoy the toys a bigger cage allowed us to put in place! Especially his mirror...he is a vain bird ;)
Linda(not 11) and Nikolas(11) in Sunny, SC
harcourt454

Re: New to the site

Post by harcourt454 »

try putting a glove on him/her and handle the birdie everyday 2or3 times at least he'll come around but it takes time there are some people who know more than I do on you-tube you can buy downloads and dvds there and give him some sounds of his/her culture.
niklin

Post by niklin »

how do I upload a picture of Angel?
Tikobird

Post by Tikobird »

a mirror is not the best of ideas because by the sounds of things angel is bonding to your son and if he has a mirror hell bond to himself, my IRN has no interest in mirrors but he loves IRN's on youtube haha. he may be going thorugh the 'bluffing' stage iether its a really long one or he is having it late, this means he will bite alot and he will make sure it hurts, the best thing is to ignore it and kepp taming him, if he doesnt let go just blow softly on his beak until he does. another reason could just be that he isnt tame, his age will make it alot more difficult to tame him but if he accepts your hand in his cage and is relaxed, praise and then reward him with a treat slowly move clower if he goes to bite stay still and when he settles praise and treat, or if you watch kiliparrot on youtube, they do this thing called target training and it distracts the bird and helps alot with trick training which later will make him an excellent bird, but just stick to taming.

sorry if this doesnt make sense haha
niklin

Post by niklin »

that makes great sense! Thanks for replying...we are new to birds!