Fledgling with mother

Moderator: Mods

Aldeleen

Fledgling with mother

Post by Aldeleen »

HI all! This season, my 5 year old female showed nesting behaviour... this was the second year that she laid eggs but this year she was much more focussed and determined that her unfertilized eggies would hatch!

I contacted a breeder and they supplied me with a 2 day old chic--to maybe provide my broody female with a baby and hopefully provide a companion for her-- for the long run...?

It was a big risk to take and there was about a 50/50% Chance of her accepting the baby or then to reject it-- She EXCITEDLY welcomed the little one---i took one egg out and placed the baby in her nest box!

Today the chic is 33 days old and nearing wearing stage! She (Piko) has been feeding her baby and protecting the chic from day one! Im so proud of her and also excited that now i have 2 IRN that is part of my flok! I treid to intruduce older birds to her before but with little success-- only fighting!

My plan is to house the 2 birds in the same cage--
Piko at this stage doesnt mind and she tends to the baby still-- we are handling baby more now to get use to us and not only bridy companionship.

Now can someone maybe tell me-- will it be possible or even a good idea to place the 2 bridies in the sage cage ?? Ive read that Piko-- seeing that she is a female-- will do the broody thing every year and then she will become aggresive and maybe harm the other birdy?
I dont know the sex of the chic and im hoping its a male-- but if not-- and its also a female-- will i have severe problems with them in the same cage??

In all fairness, my INR astounded me and she is really did a great job-- she's never been a mommy before and she raised the little one with very little hickups!
She ate the 'handrearing food' and then gave it to the chic! she had no partner to fullfill some of the nest duties and i tried to supplement her where possible!

Maybe someone went thru the same situations?? any advise will be great!

I need to know what the future mught hold now for these 2!
:)
Bernard Jacobsz

Re: Fledgling with mother

Post by Bernard Jacobsz »

Hi

I have a blue pair IRN and the youngsters from last year are still in the same aviary as the parent.
They already all 4 new 3 month old babies and have not show any aggressiveness to the youngster flying around.

It could maybe change next year as the youngster would also be mating.
Bernard Jacobsz
http://www.birds4sale.co.za
South Africa