IRNs and love birds living together.

Moderator: Mods

ally26

IRNs and love birds living together.

Post by ally26 »

Firstly im new and from South Africa and have been looking 4 proper advices to this question. Can I keep a pair of ringnecks and a pair of love birds in a 2x4x2.2m aviary? Too me the cage is big but don’t want to take any chances the birds will live in there all year round. If they cant can someone suggest another bird besides love birds? coz I would actually like 2 pairs of ring necks but I have read that in breeding season they do become aggressive.
Shrek&Fiona

Re: IRNs and love birds living together.

Post by Shrek&Fiona »

I have never tried to keep those two sepcies together so I can't tell you for sure but my mum used to breed lovebirds and they can get very territorial and cranky around breeding season so I would say tread with caution. Hope someone comes on that can give you a more definate answer.
If vision is the only validation then most of my life isn't real.
ally26

Post by ally26 »

I’ve also heard that about love birds, if I don’t get any positive feedback then I’ll just stick to the pair of ringnecks its safer.
Shane7285

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi Ally

I think from my reading as a general rule, ringnecks shouldn't be housed with other types of birds. Even having 2 pairs of ringnecks in one aviary can be a risk.

Regards

Shane
rod038

Post by rod038 »

It all depends on the individual birds. But there is quite a size difference here, so I would be reluctant. The main problems arise during breeding season when birds become territorial. I house up to 10 pairs of Ringnecks in a large aviary most of the year but I wouldnt put nest boxes in there. I seperate them to breed. Sometimes even in non breeding season a couple of hens wil fight. I have 1 hen that is just nasty and she cant be in with other birds apart from her mate. I guess its like people some get on and some dont.
ally26

Post by ally26 »

I decided that I won’t risk it coz they will also breed in that enclosure Im not keen on the idea of partitioning the aviary or building another I had budgies in there 3years ago but now its empty. I’ll just keep 2 ringnecks, I haven’t got the birds as yet im still deciding whats the best option and what colour cost. I was thinking a blue cock and green hen? Is that a GOOD combination?
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

blue with a green will only give you green split to blue ( green/ blue ) babies unless the green bird is split to blue and then you will get green/blue babies and blue babies