New to breeding

Moderator: Mods

Poppy

New to breeding

Post by Poppy »

I have never really considered letting my female breed. I really thought that because she was hand reared she would not have the desire to breed. But now that Spring has arrived in South Africa she is really showing all the symptoms.

A friend of mine has a blue 3 year old male. The 2 birds get along. When I go away I leave mine with her to look after and the 2 birds are roomed together. They would definitely bond if given a chance. the male is not tame, he was hand reared but not handled properly so he has a desire to be with people but is nervous.

I was wondering what size cage a breeding pair would need? I have found the correct nesting box but she is in a small cage. they sugested putting the box outside the cage but im unsure. I want her to just get used to it and see where it takes me. Im not out to breed commercially or professionally. I just feel that it is natural for her to need a mate and perhaps have a clutch of babies one day.

Any suggestions on how to start in the home envoronment? and what colours would I get from a Lutino female and a Blue male? :?:

We think caged birds sing, when indeed they cry...
saaz17

Re: New to breeding

Post by saaz17 »

The only problem with handraised baby's is that they can make awful parents as they haven't learnt from their parents, they may have natural instincts! Usually all new parent's start off awful or some are just genious at it , depends on the bird! Give them time to get used to eachother.. usually the guy checks out the nest box first then calls the female in if it's good enough! I would suggest hooking the nest box on the outside soo it doesn't get dirty and is easy access for you! It takes time, they don't just instantly breed! The colours of the babies will be green unless one or both parents are split! Hope this helps.. I am new to ringnecks too but i breed cockatiels!
Owned by: 8 budgies, 4 Cockatiels & 1 IRN!