Hello! Three IRNs and one cage.

Moderator: Mods

Sangrebloom

Hello! Three IRNs and one cage.

Post by Sangrebloom »

Hello!

First I would like introduce myself, just call me San. I'm 25 and live on the west coast, I have always liked birds and had a very good bond with a budgie named Dobby, which passed away as the last Harry Potter book was released.

Over the weekend my father purchased three IRNs. He has always wanted this type of bird and finally got them.
I really want to separate them, at least one of them, because she's very aggressive. Her eyes pin and she lunges at the other birds, she won't share the perch. He thinks I'm over reacting because we bought them together and they sat quietly in their cage and seemed to have no problems.
They are the apple green IRNs and one is molting. He's a male we've named Tonyo. He's not as shy as the other male, but still getting used to us. The other male is a handsome green we've named Doug.
The female however is a little more olive than apple, she has no pale ring around her neck and a long green blue tail. I don't think she's bluffing, she seems to be just as old as the other two birds and we were told they were about a year old. She's the only one that has been making noise, which seems more like warning noises than song, and the afore mentioned eyes pinning and lunging.

Should I just move her to her own cage? the other two birds don't seem to have any problems with each other and they've all been eating well. (carrots and romaine lettuce and fresh corn along with millet and buckwheat seed.)
Thanks!
I'll post pictures of them once I feel the camera flashes won't disturb them.
Joanie

Re: Hello! Three IRNs and one cage.

Post by Joanie »

if it were me, i would give her her own space. they can be very agressive towards the males when they are not in the mood for mating.
so for their safety and comfort i would move her.

i had a pair who lived very well together, the female was very shy and quiet.
but i think thats the exception not the rule.
julie

Post by julie »

Hi and welcome. I wouldnt reccomend having 2 males and 1 female in the same cage, the 2 boys will fight for the female and it wont be pretty because the female may join in on trying to kill the weaker one.
Sangrebloom

Post by Sangrebloom »

Ok! thank you for the replies!

Should I move the weaker Male or the just move the Female?

I've been trying to keep them occupied with trips outside when the sun is out, fresh lettuce and things to chew, but they still seem to pick at each other.