Jo-Jo & Ki-Ki

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

crystalj

Jo-Jo & Ki-Ki

Post by crystalj »

Hi all,
My name is Joan I live in the U.K Leeds, West Yorkshire, married with 3 grown up children 30, 28 and 23 and a granddaughter.
We bought a pair of ringnecks 3 weeks ago Jo-Jo and Ki-Ki, from :evil: "a lovely lady" :evil: who said they were coming upto breeding age but that wasn't the reason we bought them from her. We have always wanted talking parrots but the time was never right until 3 weeks ago.
After sitting with them for a number of hours we noticed something very odd about them, I noticed Jo-Jo had a claw missing on both feet, but Ki-Ki is the worse she has only 1 claw left on both feet, also her tail feathers were really tatty and uneven as though they had been ripped out. I rang the lady and told her about it she said that they were like that when she bought them but she said she had them for a year.
Ki-Ki's feathers have grown back beautifully, she can fly but she has trouble landing. Jo-Jo on the other hand can fly and land with no trouble and he has started to talk which is excellent he has started to take fruit and nuts out of our hands which I think is brilliant. Ki-Ki needs alot of work she panics and flies off or if in her cade she moves to the otherside, although she is vocal and is slowly trusting us, we have the patience and love to give her, I hope she can forget what ever happened to her, time will tell.
I love them to bits and just so very happy we got them out of the place they were in before something bad had happened or worse.
ellieelectrons

Re: Jo-Jo & Ki-Ki

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Joan

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad to hear you have given Jo-Jo & Ki-Ki a loving home. Best wishes with the taming process.

I'm not sure whether this is the rule or not, but I've noticed a lot of IRNs in group living situations with beat up looking tails. I guess those beautiful, long tails are hard to protect and are too enticing for other birds to lay off!

The problem with the claws is worrying though... but it is amazing how well animals can adapt to the situation they find themselves in.

Can you post some pics on the forum. We'd love to see them. What colour are they?

Regards

Ellie.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hey Joan, welcome.

It does seem those long tails are just too hard for some birds to resist. :lol:
Just yesterday I saw one of my males holding his girls tail, preventing her from flying off. I guess he wanted some lovin'....NOW! :roll: :lol:

Hopefully Ki Ki will perfect her landing skills so not to do any damage to herself. Maybe she has not learnt to fly properly?

Sounds like Jo Jo is coming along nicely. Once they have finally mastered the art of talking, they pic up other words and sounds a lot quicker.
crystalj

Post by crystalj »

Hi,
Thank you very much for your replies it is very reassuring. I have noticed when they are out of their cage and have landed on the curtain pole Ki-Ki does take Jo-Jo's tail and starts cleaning it. What I think is very moving is when Ki-Ki starts to preen Jo-Jo he makes these lovely little sounds, she preens him alot more than he preens her.
They are wonderful.
Down to their colour Jo-Jo is green and Ki-Ki is a beautuful yellow, I will post a few pics when I can remember how to do it lol. :oops:
ateneoblue

Post by ateneoblue »

welcome to the forum....

please say hi to jojo and ki-ki for me.
"GOD IS GREAT"
crystalj

Post by crystalj »

Jo-Jo (Green) and Ki-Ki is yellow.
I gave them both a grape and said hello from ateneoblue :D
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Thanks for the pics. They're beautiful birds. Any signs of their claws growing back at all? They look really happy up there on top of the curtain!

Regards

Ellie.
crystalj

Post by crystalj »

Hi Ellie,
Ki-Ki's claws don't seem to be growing back yet, but she has been perfecting her landing and has started showing off so I've stopped worring now, I think they both are going to be just fine and dandy from now on. :D
I'll post some more pics when my camera has charged up again lol, thank you very much for asking.

Love Joan.
ateneoblue

Post by ateneoblue »

beautiful birds!! congratz crystalj..
"GOD IS GREAT"