Please help me..

Moderator: Mods

Desai

Please help me..

Post by Desai »

Hi friends.

I have brought a 2 years old Indian ring neck. He is very lovely and calm. He is taking food from my hand and let me put my hand on his head and back but when I say step up he is upset and starts biting me. What should I do? I am totally new and having my first pet.
MissK

Re: Please help me..

Post by MissK »

He does not know what step up means, perhaps?

Try putting your hand on the perch, palm down, fingers curled around the perch so the hand looks as small as possible.
Use the food to lure him close to the hand.
When he is comfortable near the hand, move the lure to the other side of the hand so he must reach over it.
When he is comfortable with that, move it farther, so he must put one foot on the hand.
When he is comfortable with that, move it still farther, so he must put two feet on the hand.
When he is comfortable with that, start over with a new goal, probably getting him on the hand with one finger extended, then two, etc.
Keep that hand still, and expect him to "test" it with his beak to make sure it is stable and sturdy.
The test is not a real bite, but since he will use his beak, it might look like a bite. But he must do it; nature tells him to.

Good Luck.
-MissK
-MissK
Desai

Post by Desai »

Thank you so much. He is getting friendly but will take time for him to step up on my hand/finger
MissK

Post by MissK »

Of course, but in theory you both have a lot of time.

Welcome!

-MissK
-MissK