male or female??

Moderator: Mods

amaraatlanta

male or female??

Post by amaraatlanta »

sorry didn't know were to post this.... :oops:

Just wondering if anyone can tell if Sirius-Malfoy isa male or female IRN, we have been calling him, him but don't really know?? :? :shock:

we love him no matter what just would like to know :lol:

SUE

Owned by Sirius-Malfoy (IRN) Splodge and Omar (budgies) 5boys and a hubby lol
Skyes_crew

Re: male or female??

Post by Skyes_crew »

How old is he?
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

MissK

Post by MissK »

Nice looking bird. What is that colour called?

-MissK
-MissK
amaraatlanta

Post by amaraatlanta »

i was told he/she was an olive about 7 month when we rescued him/her so about 9month now but not sure if thats correct. the ring has been changing lately and sirius has a dark line appearing above his beak?? i love him/her though. although not happy with hands he loves spending time with us on his terms lol. he loves his new pellet food and is starting to eat his daily veg and fruit yay

SUE

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

It does look like an olive...I'm no expert though lol. Ill leave that to someone else. My boy started at around a year getting the dark black across his eyes. But I know every bird is different. Does he she have an specific behaviors or something that may give you an indication? The only sure way to tell would be to get a DNA test done. I played the guessing game for weeks before I finally gave in and had the test done. Good luck :)

amaraatlanta

Post by amaraatlanta »

you cant see in the pictures but his/her front is like a mustard green even lighter in tail and under wings lol very pretty. dont know if mutation of olive is correct though, just what i was told lol. i think he is doing very well for a rescue though

SUE

amaraatlanta

Post by amaraatlanta »

no behavioir that i can think of ?? think i will dna lol .. do u have to pluck the feathers i just dont want to upset him when trying to gain his trust lol

SUE

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

There are a couple of different methods. It's quick and just cuddle the heck out of him when you're done lol. Here's a link to a DNA site. This is who I used. The test kits are free.

http://www.avianbiotech.com/

Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Your bird is a grey-green errenously called olive which is wrong.
as for sex, best to wait till mature 2-3 years or DNA sex it.
for the name find a unisex name or invent a funny one that is related to the bird's looks/behaviour.
a name i used last was: Monkey ;)
amaraatlanta

Post by amaraatlanta »

Ring0Neck wrote:Your bird is a grey-green errenously called olive which is wrong.
as for sex, best to wait till mature 2-3 years or DNA sex it.
for the name find a unisex name or invent a funny one that is related to the bird's looks/behaviour.
a name i used last was: Monkey ;)
thank u :D i think i am going to dna. however the name will have to stay i think as he/she knows it hehe

when we took him in he was being kept in a budgie cage and had a largly wounded wing :( i clipped them to prevent any furthet damage as he healed and he is back to full health and in a huge parrot cage now and on healthy diet :)

it is great to know his colour as only had opinion of owner i took him from and have never had anything to do with these charming birds before him xx

SUE

MissK

Post by MissK »

If you want to do it (And "Sirius-Malfoy-SnuggleButt" would be a mouthful!) I don't see why you could not simply add another name until the bird takes note, and then gently fade use of the the old name.

However, like yourself and Sooooooooo many others, I now have a female bird with a (sort of) male name. I'm OK with it - of course, the name is Riff Raff, so unless you're a Rocky Horror fan, it won't have any gender association at all. That's a Budgie. She doesn't know her name or anyone else's!

My IRN came in with his name, and it is his strongest word - Rocky. Since he already knew his name, I left it for the time being and now I know him by that name, so he has to keep it (inflexible human). He does fly to me when I tap my arm and call "Rocky! Come!", but I can try calling something else and see how he responds. My bet is that it's the tone and gesture that bring him. I think I could just as effectively call my own name. For the greater good and common knowledge base we'll test this out!

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I want to hear the results of that...I have a boy named Skye lol. The only thing that sounds close is guy. My kids are calling him Luke skyewalker :D

amaraatlanta

Post by amaraatlanta »

Skyes_crew wrote:I want to hear the results of that...I have a boy named Skye lol. The only thing that sounds close is guy. My kids are calling him Luke skyewalker :D
Nice :D
MissK wrote:If you want to do it (And "Sirius-Malfoy-SnuggleButt" would be a mouthful!) I don't see why you could not simply add another name until the bird takes note, and then gently fade use of the the old name.

However, like yourself and Sooooooooo many others, I now have a female bird with a (sort of) male name. I'm OK with it - of course, the name is Riff Raff, so unless you're a Rocky Horror fan, it won't have any gender association at all. That's a Budgie. She doesn't know her name or anyone else's!

My IRN came in with his name, and it is his strongest word - Rocky. Since he already knew his name, I left it for the time being and now I know him by that name, so he has to keep it (inflexible human). He does fly to me when I tap my arm and call "Rocky! Come!", but I can try calling something else and see how he responds. My bet is that it's the tone and gesture that bring him. I think I could just as effectively call my own name. For the greater good and common knowledge base we'll test this out!

-MissK
"Sirius-Malfoy-SnuggleButt" I love it haha, we have been speaking to him/her 24/7 andsaying thing like "hello sweety", "what ya doing" and basically babbling on about our days etc so not alot of name usage lol :wink:

SUE