could this be stress???

Moderator: Mods

newbie135

could this be stress???

Post by newbie135 »

hi all

recently bought a breeding pair of ring necks have had them for 3 days now and the female has lost all her tail fethers and the male is starting to loose his, i have no other birds and im a bit concerned, i think it could be stress and they could be pulling each others out, they have just come from a fairly big aviary and are now in a smaller cage, which is a fairly large cage but no where near the size they were in.

any suggestions, also i have been feeding them apple corn carrots and kiwi fruit aswell as seeds

help would be appreciated
tobiloh

Re: could this be stress???

Post by tobiloh »

Please bring them to the vet. For them to lose all tail feathers is very concerning. Also, it would be best if you started with tamed ringnecks before getting into breeding as it can be very complicated. You may find that if your female IRN does breed with your male IRN, she could become aggressive and could attack your male IRN.

It is best to be aware of all these situations as sometimes you may have to clip your female's wings so the male can get away.

Also, if they are hurting each other, she may not be keen on him as IRNs are not known for monogomy and they tend to chose their mates so just because you have a male and a female, that doesn't exactly mean that they will mate.
newbie135

Re: could this be stress???

Post by newbie135 »

took them to the vet, they said they are under stress and its nothing to worry about. they are pulling the feathers out themselves and they are a genuin breeding pair, have bread 3 times befor and had 3-5 each time, advice vet gave me is to cover the cage at night and try not to disturb them as they are not familar with the new surroundings