Dunking

Moderator: Mods

KornNZ

Dunking

Post by KornNZ »

Just wondering if anybody else is birds dunk their food in the water bowl halfy does it everytime i feed her its funny to watch her line up the food an dunk each one as eats it only problem is i have to change the water after shes done as it looks like soup an with fruit it can get a bit smelly. :lol:
mikeb

Re: Dunking

Post by mikeb »

yes they do it all the time and it's a mess so i have all my birds drinking out of water bottles the same kind you use for rabbits or hamsters no more mess !
Tori-Lea

Post by Tori-Lea »

Mine does it too. He comes out looking like a drowned rat :)
julie

Post by julie »

yes even my avairy birds do it. They take the seed from the bowl and fill up their water bowls with it :evil: it must take them a while to do.
3tiels&aringneck

Post by 3tiels&aringneck »

my female who is 2 years will do that too, but my other three ringies don't, but they are fairly young. Is this something older birds do.

Bullet will take a cracker or piece of hard food and dunk it in her water bowl. She is funny to watch.
Image Bullet
Image mikey (white) and joey (blue)
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Mine occasionally dunk their food. When I used to have peachfaces (years and years ago), they used to do it too. I used to give them a seed mix that had hard pieces of corn in it, they were forever soaking those - trying to get them softer I guess.

Ellie.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Hane's food and water bowls are on separate sides of the cage with no perch taking him from one to the next. This cuts down on dunking- a little anyway.

When he was young I came in and saw his dish full of red water and he was sitting on the edge. I thought he had injured himself and his blood was colouring the water! Turns out he was just dunking a red vegetable-dyed bead from his toy. :lol: That year his feet would be all sorts of colours from dunking and holding. Green, yellow, red, blue...
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
julie

Post by julie »

The avairy birds food and water is on totally different sides with no perches and they still manage to put food in the water. They must take 1 seed at a time and fly backwards and forwards from one bowl to another.
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

train them on water bottles just add one to cage and they will find it and when they do and you notice water getting lower in bottle remove their bowel or dish it's easy and no more mess
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

my ringneck doesnt dunk his food at all
KornNZ

Post by KornNZ »

Yep just got a water bottle today so no more mess hopefully. :D
Melika

Post by Melika »

Remember to check your water bottles daily to make sure they haven't lodged any food up in it thus preventing water flow. It's rare, but it happens.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
turnershaun43

Post by turnershaun43 »

My bird also dunking here food into the water. Maybe the bird like basketball. LOL :lol: