Do IRN's have to be only around their owner to bond?

Moderator: Mods

mickpmc

Do IRN's have to be only around their owner to bond?

Post by mickpmc »

Hi there!
I was thinking of putting my IRN in my living room. Where most people in our house
go to. I will soon be the owner of the Ringneck but I'm scared it will only pay attetion
to one person in the house, I'm scared its not me. :?
I guess It has to learn that I'M the owener. Of course I will spend the most time with it,
talking with it but will it pay attention to someone else in the house?
I want to teach it to talk BUT it may learn it from someone else in the house :cry:
Please give me a hand :D

-Michael (AKA) "THE ORINGNAL MR GREEN :mrgreen: "

Milo...Boy...Buddy
ellieelectrons

Re: Do IRN's have to be only around their owner to bond?

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Michael

Ringnecks are flock animals and like to be a part of a social group. In my experience, I spend more time with our ringies than my husband but they have both bonded to both of us. Our female is slightly more bonded to my husband and the male mostly likes to go to where the female is... but is probably slightly more bonded to me than my husband. You can't control who they bond to the most but you can certainly work with them to make them be accepting of everyone in your household. There is enough love to go around!

My husband teaches them to talk and I teach them to do tricks.

I do their food every morning and my husband changes the bottom of their cage.

Best wishes for getting your IRN!

If you want it to be a tame bird, I would suggest that you get a handraised one... it's not that you can't tame a non handraised bird but it is certainly harder. Interestingly, when we brought our second home, we found that he was really scared of us... and it probably took a couple of weeks of consistent attention to break through that... and he was already handraised!

Ellie.
laine

Re: Do IRN's have to be only around their owner to bond?

Post by laine »

Hi,
My IRN is in the lounge room. There is one rule, I am the only one who lets him out. (had problem with a previous bird :( )

Smokey is completely bonded to me and will not let me go anywhere in the house without him, however, he loves my son who is 19. Dale has taught him games and tricks and he will take food from him. He won't step up for Dale or let him pat him but will sit on his shoulder and kiss.

Smokey likes my partner, Brett. He calls out to him ( Breeeeeeeeet LOL ). He will take food from him, share icy poles, play and kiss, but will not let Brett touch him.

I am the only one Smokey follows, allowed to pat and cuddle, and of course he plays and eats with me. I am his food provider and cage cleaner. We play games and chat.

What I am essentially saying is, Smokey is my bird yet he is very social with the rest of the family. As already said by ellieelctrons, your bird will bond to who they choose. Sometimes I think Smokey has bonded more with my son, but it's not that at all. Some days he would just rather play with Dale than me :lol: for what ever reason.