Need help please

Moderator: Mods

xx_sheena_xx

Need help please

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

Iv used the search engine to find information that would help me with taming but i havnt found anything really that helps.
I havnt had my IRN very long, I handraised her but then dad made me take her to his shop because he wanted to sell her.
She became untame at dads shop before i got her for Christmas.
When she is in her cage i cant get hand near her, she flies away.
When she is out of the cage i can get her to step up onto a perch and then she might step up onto my hand but very rarely.
She bits me all the time, i know your not suppossed to move your hand away but i cant help it, she bits very hard.
Her eyes pin all the time.
Sorry about the long post but i really would like to make my IRN friendly so she enjoys being with me.
julie

Re: Need help please

Post by julie »

I had the same problem with Mika. I just kept going with it, if he starts getting narky I just stand there and talk to him. It helps to bribe them , normally with food or something you know they really want.
I still haave trouble getting Mika out of his cage but he is nowhere near as bad as he was.

He does however copy me calling him, he says come here boy its ok, step up ect.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

I was wondering if maybe i should try to get her used to my hand in the cage more before i take her out again?
julie

Post by julie »

I found it was better to get mika used to my hand out of the cage first. I normally bribe him to come out or wait till he comes out by himself and then get him to step up.
If your girl was at a shop for a while she may have had hands coming at her all the time, that may be where some of her issues are.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

Thanks for your help Julie
bec

Post by bec »

i know this might sound funny sheena but its worth a try
try bringing out the hand rearing spoon again feed her either egg & biccie mix or musshied vegies or apple from it
we had a big problem with riku for a while till i was feeding skeet as soon as riku saw the spoon he went all bubby cute bobbing his head or just helping himself & even cleaning up what skeet spilt down her front!!!!
i dont know what it was exactly wheather it just reminded riku of being safe & warm or if he just neede to be babied a bit but it worked
let us know if it works for you too
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

hey bec, i never hand reared my ringneck but could i whip out a spoon with goodies. would this improve interaction?
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

That does sound funny Bec.
I was thinking about trying it because she still bobs and crys for food even though shes too old to be a baby!
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

I feed her some egg and biccie mix and she was letting me pat her and even stepped up onto my finger!
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

hmm, how do i do it? take a spoon with mixed food or straight from my hand?
bec

Post by bec »

glad it worked sheena
us marine if your gal was hand reared he will regonise a handrearing spoon
if shew wasnt she will recognise food either way food is a good bonding agent in any relationship with an irn
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

She has started making noises when i pat her on her head and back (she doesnt let me pat anywhere eles).
There soft noises and iv never heard them before she started letting me pat her.
Is this a good sign?
Shane7285

Post by Shane7285 »

I think it is a good sign. Mine does the same, they are kind of chattering sounds that he doesn't do at other times.

Regards

Shane
Lila_

Post by Lila_ »

Does she still cry and bob her head for food? I read on a Cockatoo site about someone who managed to bond with a very unfriendly 'too by feeding it like a baby again...

it sounds like she is scared of you. if her cage is near a tv, you could try leaving it open and sitting quietly on the couch watching tv. even if you can move her next to the couch you are sitting on. eventually she should become curious and come over. in any event, she will have a chance to check you out from the safety of your cage and while your attention is focused on other things. that way she can see you aren't threatening.
If tv is not an option (room too busy, cage too far away), then maybe you can read a book in the same manner.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

She is in the lounge room so she see's me eating and watching tv and doing homework.
Shes not scared of me because i cant put my face not even 1 centermitre away from her and talk to her and she talks back.
Lila_

Post by Lila_ »

leave the cage door open so she can feel more comfortable about being outside of the cage, and so its her decision to be out of the cage. it will probably take a while, but she will eventually calm down and youll see she will start moving closer to you across the floor/furniture over time.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

I cant just leave the door open. its not an option because i have a cat
bec

Post by bec »

i just re read the whole post again from the sounds of things
i would say shes been punishing you a bit for being taken to the shop
(i know unfair hey?)
skeet was acting veery similar when we got her home after evacuating from the fires last year
once in her cage she would refuse to come out coz after all you cant fit her huge cage in the car hey?
as soon as she was out she would explore (to make sure everything was right where she left it
then she would only come to me when she was ready for bed it took a while but she got through it once she realised i waas going to make her leave home again
we are also going through a similar though not as bad stage with her at the momment from moving
its only the last 2 weeks shes let me put my hand in the cage with seed on it for her to sit on & eat
pickles(her cage mate) very confused as to why she would want to do that at all
hows she going now sheena?
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

Well it is kinda my fault that she went to the shop because i was just supposed to be finnishing hand feeding her then dad was supposed to sell her but i couldnt let him sell my baby!!
Shes getting better. I catch her with a small blanket and i put her onto my bed.
She lets me pat her wings, head and back most of the time.
Sometimes she lets me pat her cheast and touch her feet but not often.
She will climb all over me and fall asleep on me but hates me fingers.
She bits when i try to get her to step up but i try to distract her with something (my phone, paper, doll shoe, anything she finds different) and while shes paying attention to it i get her to step up onto my finger.
Once she is on it she doesnt try to bite me.
Thanks everyone for your help :)
bec

Post by bec »

if she seem scared of your fingers try offering here your closed fist to step onto or your forearm
a lot of irns dont like fingers
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

Thought id give you an update
She lets me pat her most days, will let me kiss her, loves me talking to her and makes noises back.
She still hates fingers but will happily sit on me, but how can i stop her from being scared of my hands?
bec

Post by bec »

with the fingers thing she might never get over it
shes just might be a bird that doesnt like fingers
as long as shes being quite tame i wouldnt worry about it too much
if she sl letting youy pat her she cant be too bed with it
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

i would like to know if you think im making progress or not.
she loves sitting on me, playing with my earings and preening my hair.
she doesnt like hands still, but will let me pat her sometimes.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Compared to what you have written in your first post, I was say yes. Any step forward is progress no matter how small it is. :)

How is the bitting now?

My 3 babies from last season are going through that stage now. 1 has slowed down on the attacks heaps and allows me to scratch all over again like 'old times', but as soon as I stop with the petting and scratches the beak finds an unguarded bit of flesh and whammo!! Be funny if it didn't hurt so much. lol A real Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde moment. :lol:
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

its horrible! she is trying to take chunks out of my fingers.
is it too early for her to be bluffing?
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

getting worse again :(
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

i feel like giving up :(
i walk past her cage and she lundges at me
if i put my hand in her cage to change the food at t\water she bites me and makes me bleed
when shes out of the cage all she wants to do is attack me
i really dont know what to do :(