Feral IRN

Moderator: Mods

egchicsohc

Feral IRN

Post by egchicsohc »

We rescued a two year old male IRN about 10 days ago. The lady that previously had him did not believe in seeds. She would only feed him cereal and table food. His ring does not go all the way around his neck. She said that she had not handled him in 3 - 4 months. When you stick your hand in the cage, he flops back and forth almost like a fish out of water. Also he strikes at you, but not very hard. We have been able to hold him down and trim his nails that were extremely long. We were also able to hold him down and trim his beek. His feathers are very withered. Could his malnourishment attribute to his behavior? Are there any suggestions to help tame him?
bec

Re: Feral IRN

Post by bec »

poor baby!!!!!
bless you for taking him out of that situation!!!!!
i would say the best thing for him is to let him set the pace for taming put his cage in a room you use alot &
let him see you going round about your normal day doing things like watching telly reading computor anything that means your not focused on him
this will give him the security to observe & get to know you diet will help as food is the way to any irns heart try him on popcorn all of mine go nuts for it so i only give it to them from my hands (very useful hand taming tool without pulling anything from the everyday diet
also brocoli is another that they love & is very good for them
there is a post in diet & housing about dos & donts of foods
some people recommend that to try & tame a irn clip its wings
i myself havent done that & yes the road to tameness is slower but
happens all the same
dont push him to much let him come to you & when ever you sit down for half an hour try to have some fruit
that you are willing to share with him these guys are little pigs & are very curious if they see you eating its a sign to them that there is no danger & therefore safe to eat so he will (as he starts to feel safe with you come closer &closer and one day you will find a bird sitting on your head pinching your strawberry!!!!(thia happens regularly here)
thewre are heaps of post & tips on here for taming & you can always ask more questions if you cant find the answers
good luck keep us posted & we would love to see pics of your new fid (feathered kid)
by the way whats his name?
egchicsohc

Post by egchicsohc »

His name was Gray when we got him. But we renamed him Gray Matter. We trimmed his tail feathers because they were so damaged from his cage.
Here is a pic from the first day
Here is a pic from a week later
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

He looks way better now :)
bec

Post by bec »

he is GEORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!
in just a week i can see a big difference in him both his condition and he looks calmer....less scared of you in the second pick!!!
he is still kind of shy but totally different to the first pic
cant wait to see him improve more!
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

What a difference just 1 week makes.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

You done a good thing. Grey Matter should become tame, if your willing to work with him.
egchicsohc

Post by egchicsohc »

We have been hand feeding him peanuts in his cage. Also we have been getting him out of the cage with a towel and let him run around with our female.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

egchicsohc wrote:We have been hand feeding him peanuts in his cage. Also we have been getting him out of the cage with a towel and let him run around with our female.
Nice, how tame is your female?
egchicsohc

Post by egchicsohc »

She gives kisses, you can cuddle her, when you say her name, Pepper, she squawks. The people that we got her from had her for a month and were scared to hold her. Within a week, all she wants is attention. Gray Matter now goes crazy when she is out of his sight. Pepper was beat up by cage mates I believe. Her left eye is sunken in, she has marks on her beak, and she is missing a toe off of each foot.

U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

I hope for the best for Pepper and Grey Matter. Reading on how tame Pepper is, Grey Matter could become tame faster because of her. Goodluck!
bec

Post by bec »

i agree with us marine here a tasme bird in the house who loves you will be great for him it will show him that you wont hurrt him & are a safe person to trust
when you do the food thing i told you about earlier give peppeer treats ffrom you hand then offer to grey matter
if hes nervy put them down where it is easy for him to reach
when pepper is in a loving mood make the most of it and love her back lots
i bet very soon you will see a look on grey matters face like aaaawwww i want cuddles!!! the next thing you know you will have another birdy sitting on you
i bought a very panic little bubn march nothing would let him trust me untill i put my hand reared bub skeet in with him the difference in pickle was amazing!!!!!