Rescued!!

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

TD

Rescued!!

Post by TD »

My dad was overjoyed to find a pair of Galahs were nesting high up in a gum tree in his backyard. That turned to despair when his dog alerted him to 2 chicks on the ground at the base of the tree. It didn't take him long to work out that the Galah's had been driven out of their nest by a group of Indian Mynahs (an introduced pest), and they had thrown the chicks out of the nest. One died from the impact of hitting the ground, but miraculously, the other survived by hitting a soft spot on the grass. Dad rang me in a panic, wondering what he should do! Luck has it that I was hand raising a cockatiel, so I had everything needed to add a friend! So far, the chick has been feeding brilliantly, and has turned to the cockatiel for extra protection.

bec

Re: Rescued!!

Post by bec »

wow thats incredible!!!!
so cute too!
birdbabe

Post by birdbabe »

OMG, That little guy has a will to survive. Glad you were there to help. Keep us updated on the little sweet-heart.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

That is one very very lucky birdie!

Great that you had everything you needed to take 'him' in immediately.

Hahaha, you are going to be in for a rowdy time as the chick gets older. They make so much baby noise. lol

Good luck with him. :)
julie

Post by julie »

Hes a cute chic and all but I have to mention Galahs and other wild birds can bring some nasty things in with them. New birds should be quarantined first.
TD

Post by TD »

Thanks guys, he's doing very well and now has pin feathers.

Julie, very good point, we have done all the right things as we have had help from an avian vet at our local animal aid so she is going to guide us through the health process, as she is an expert in nurturing wild birds that have been orphaned.