dry feet or mites?

Moderator: Mods

Invader ZIM

dry feet or mites?

Post by Invader ZIM »

Hey Guys,

My little buddy was fine when I brought him home in September, he was 4 months old, his feet were not flakey or anything, and looked healthy but after the weather has gotten colder and we have been using the furnace more to keep the house warm my little guy has gotten white flakey skin on his feet. The humidity of the house has gone down to about 35% and I give him a shower with me a few days a week and he takes a small bath every day himself (Usually just dunking his head). But I know he's uncomfortable, he scratches his head frequently and picks at his feet.

I purchased some of this 100% organic Aloe Vera Oil from this site: http://www.vitacost.com/Jason-Aloe-Vera ... dientFacts

With these ingredients: Helianthus Annus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Gel*, Carthamus Tinctorius (safflower) Seed Oil*.

*Certified Organic

My question is it safe to put this product on my birds feet? And how can I get it to his itchy skin? Can I use a spray? I'm worried about getting any in his eyes though. If he doesn't improve in a week or so with this I'm taking him to an Avian vet we know locally. He is alone and there aren't any other birds or other animals at my home, so I'm hoping it isn't mites.

Thanks!
Donna

Re: dry feet or mites?

Post by Donna »

You can buy pure aloe juice at your local walmart or pharmacy and delute it with water 50/50 and spray him once a day with it, will not hurt the eyes. Bump up the humidity in your house as well.

Donna :D
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Invader ZIM

Post by Invader ZIM »

I never thought of that, and the amount you get is huge! I'm working on getting higher humidity in his room too. might have to get a small humidifier.

Thanks for the tip :D I'll get some Aloe juice by Thursday and try it on him.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Donna wrote:You can buy pure aloe juice at your local walmart or pharmacy and delute it with water 50/50 and spray him once a day with it, will not hurt the eyes. Bump up the humidity in your house as well.

You sure do know plenty about birds. lol. :D
julie

Post by julie »

it would probably be an idea to check him out for mites.
Invader ZIM

Post by Invader ZIM »

Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to see how he does with the aloe oil and Juice spray for a week, if he's still getting flakey white skin and irritated by it I will take him to our local avian vet.

edit: took some photos of his feet to illustrate.

very hard to get good photos, he was afraid of the camera.
Donna

Post by Donna »

The feet look pretty normal to me, pay close attention to the bottom of the feet, if they start looking red or inflamed different perches may be what you need. The skin on the feet do flake sometimes which is normal.

In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Donna

Post by Donna »

You sure do know plenty about birds. lol.

Thanks! been around birds my whole life, I know a little.lol :D

In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Invader ZIM

Post by Invader ZIM »

Just an update guys,

We got the home humidity up to around 50%, and my little guy is starting to enjoy the daily mist sprays in his room. His feet look much better than the photos I had submitted last week. He's sitting on my shoulder drying off from a misting as I type this. :)