Interaction with babies?

Moderator: Mods

muz

Interaction with babies?

Post by muz »

Just picked up Merlin, our first IRN last Saturday. See my 'Introduction' post for photos.

We're new to this hand feeding caper and I'm getting conflicting advice about whether to interact with him or not.

The pet shop that I bought the food/supplies from told me to leave it alone in a dark place. (apart from feeding time, obviously) I read somewhere that in the wild, they're huddled under their mum with their brothers and sisters, so my thinking is that they would require some sort of interaction.

He is so adorable that we can't help but take him out of his 'nest' occasionally and talk to him and give him a scratch and a tickle.

What should we do?
bec

Re: Interaction with babies?

Post by bec »

my 3 bubs love sitting on my lap while im watching tv or on the computor
irns are flock bird & you are now his flock
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I snuggle with mine when watching tv etc. Usually they snuggle under the clothing and I pat them as they fall asleep. Be very lonely being stuck in a brooder with only "feeding" visititations. :)

I spend more time with them as they are older and not so afraid of the big scary world.
Fah

Post by Fah »

As long as you can keep him warm enough, you can interact with it as much as you want. Keeping in mind it does need to sleep a fair bit, but they often just fall asleep tucked under your shirt, or on your lap etc.

The only problem with them in the handrearing ages is the food in their crop getting too cool, and this leads to slow digestion and metabolism, which leads to stunted growth.

In regards to nature... well yes they are in a darked environment, but thats simply because of how they choose to nest (no little light bulbs :P). The young can handle light without a problem, however it can make sleeping in bright light areas quite difficult for them, I actually have a constant red globe in my brooder (light from heating lamp) and this is on 24 hours a day. It has never caused neurological problems despite 'naturalists' personal beliefs who worry too much about mimicing nature when really it doesnt seem to matter.

(keep in mind, there are many aspects to mimicing nature that we really should give more attention to, this however is not one of those moments).
julie

Post by julie »

He looks really cute, especially with the ostrich neck 8)
If you dont play with him and handle him he will be a hand fed NOT hand tame baby. Handle him but dont stress him too much, watch for signs that he has had enough and give him a rest.
muz

Post by muz »

He fell asleep on my chest last night. He was so contented and comfortable. My daughter was jealous.
julie

Post by julie »

it would be worthwhile to start telling him things like scratch (when scratching head) step up when getting him to step onto your hands, they then get used to what you are about to do and minimizes bites.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

pinkdevil wrote:I snuggle with mine when watching tv etc. Usually they snuggle under the clothing and I pat them as they fall asleep. Be very lonely being stuck in a brooder with only "feeding" visititations. :)

I spend more time with them as they are older and not so afraid of the big scary world.
About what age do they feel dominant, past 2 years old?
bec

Post by bec »

U.S Marine wrote:
pinkdevil wrote:I snuggle with mine when watching tv etc. Usually they snuggle under the clothing and I pat them as they fall asleep. Be very lonely being stuck in a brooder with only "feeding" visititations. :)

About what age do they feel dominant, past 2 years old?
depends on the bird skeet thought she was my boss from the very start!!!!