i am planning to buy a ring neck i have some doubts !

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

sandeep

Post by sandeep »

is it a must that you should give them pellets ?
can v supplement it with other diets ?
will IRN live more than 30 yrs ?

thank you !
Janet

Pellets

Post by Janet »

My four IRNs have never even seen a pellet. They have a parrot seed mix, fruit and vegetables, cooked rice or pasta, and cereal. My vet said they can eat anything you eat except for chocolate, alcohol, salt, avocado and one other thing I can't remember without looking it up.

After you get an IRN, you will think 30 years is not nearly long enough!
bec

Post by bec »

mushrooms are toxic to them
sandeep

thank u :)

Post by sandeep »

thankz a lot for ur replies

will an ordinary vet be able to check my IRN parrot :?:

or is it a must tat i should consult an avian vet ?
bec

Post by bec »

alll ot of ordinary vets (around here) dont know anything about parrots i can take my irns to the local vet for injuries but for a halth check or birds getting ill i go do a different one about 25 kilometres away because there is an avaian vet there
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Hello, First off..It is your ^ choice not ours.
My experience with a Indian Ringneck Is
they are unique. :D

I would not choose another Parrot over a
Ring neck. 2 or 5 Ring necks would be
pretty sweet.. 8)
bec

Post by bec »

six of thems kinda awsome :D
all of my irns have different personalities but i love them all
im actually dreading my daughter moving out coz shell take her bird riku with her &probably gen jen too as they seem to be bonding & pine if they cant see each other :cry:
sandeep

hi frndz

Post by sandeep »

but if u buy more than one , will they bond with you :?:
bec

Post by bec »

it is easier to form a bond with a single bird than with more
as they are flock bird they tend to bond to each other
we have some that are bonded pairs and others that are pets as a rule we keep our pet ones in single cages
sandeep

Post by sandeep »

tat means if u pair them , they wont let u touch them ? :cry:
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I guess it depends on if the bird has been handraised or not and how long you bond with it before intrucing another mate for him/her.

I have a girl I handraised just over 2 years ago, she is in an aviary now with her potential partner. She has not lost any bond with me at all. I see her everyday but do not always go into the aviary with her. She flies to me on command and flies or climbs around the aviary to what ever side I am on at the time when I am outside. She hasn't formed a strong bond with her potential partner yet, but I am hoping she might change her mind as breeding season rolls in. :)

Birds are similar to people, each have an individual personality, and we can only generalise on their behaviour and reaction. :)
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

pinkdevil wrote:I guess it depends on if the bird has been handraised or not and how long you bond with it before intrucing another mate for him/her.

I have a girl I handraised just over 2 years ago, she is in an aviary now with her potential partner. She has not lost any bond with me at all. I see her everyday but do not always go into the aviary with her. She flies to me on command and flies or climbs around the aviary to what ever side I am on at the time when I am outside. She hasn't formed a strong bond with her potential partner yet, but I am hoping she might change her mind as breeding season rolls in. :)

Birds are similar to people, each have an individual personality, and we can only generalise on their behaviour and reaction. :)
Yes, Devil is right. But it is true that birds can
still be bonded to you even wen caged together. :wink:

Cheers!
bec

Post by bec »

true i had kieron riku &gen jen all in a huge (6footx3footx2foot) indoor cage kieron &jen would not land on us when they were out but would sit on the back of the chair while riku was al over any one (especialy if you have food!!!)
i suppose it depends on the bird
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

bec wrote:true i had kieron riku &gen jen all in a huge (6footx3footx2foot) indoor cage kieron &jen would not land on us when they were out but would sit on the back of the chair while riku was al over any one (especialy if you have food!!!)
i suppose it depends on the bird
Yea, I noticed that in your picures lol.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I believe birds can still b bonded to the owner while having a cage mate U.S.Marine.
As I mentioned, my girl Jasper is very bonded to me. I have a video of her on youtube that shows just how bonded to me she is. :)