Nest Box Picture request

Moderator: Mods

Chee_dog

Nest Box Picture request

Post by Chee_dog »

Can someone please post picture of their next box so i have a sense of how to build one in terms of dimension.
Fah

Post by Fah »

That is the only box design I have come to use for my Indian Ringnecks. I have used boot style, drop down style, inverted boot style... but in the end I always come back to the Z shape box or styles derived from it like this one.

These boxes allow for nice airflow, as there is no real area for pockets of heat to stay, hot air rises, cooler air flows down.

This design also allows for far more safety from parents rushing into the box when affraid or guarding their young. There is no way they can 'drop' into the nest, and they have to climb down into it.

I will measure it properly for you later this afternoon hopefully, not at home at the moment and I cant recall the dimensions.
Chee_dog

Post by Chee_dog »

Some people have the boot style one with thats really tall, i'm curious if the birds have trouble climbing to get out and getting in.
Fah

Post by Fah »

They are good climbers, I have not known any parrot to get into any difficulty getting in or out, however I have known some birds get lazy and drop down the last stretch and onto young / eggs.
n9ter

what are the cost..

Post by n9ter »

your box look very nice. How much does it cost for you to make one like that and how many you have to make to bring the cost to the minimal..?
Fah

Post by Fah »

There is no real cheap answer unfortunately, as you cant use treated wood (hence second hand wood is nearly useless).

My style of boxes can cost up to $35 each to make, using completely neutral materials that in no manner whatsoever can a bird get ill / die from ingesting parts of it.

Sadly there are not many places around that deal in bulk untreated ply/thin wood materials.

The best material I have found that works for ringnecks is actually high quality natural material man made wood (particle board I think people call it). Like what cheap furniture is made from. Its a good insulator, lasts ages so long as you dont let it get wet, and is very easy to work with.