panic problem

Moderator: Mods

chobah

panic problem

Post by chobah »

this is not about an irn, but is about a pet parrot. I had just picked up a maximillian pionus from an inexperienced clueless person. This bird is chest plucked, but still has his down, just no green feathering on his chest, and has this horrible panic issue that none of my birds has ever displayed. he is fine when i approach and speak softly, will even step up and walk up my arm, and back down the other, but if something makes him nervous even in the least bit, he starts to breath very hard and rapid, like panting, and won't move from his spot he is in. I have had some nervous birds in the past, but this actually kinda scares me, like he might have a heart attack. any tips on a raid calming method? oh he also seems to be scared of the dark, i know that sounds odd but i just don't know. i know very little about his past, all that the man said was that he came from lady who kept him in front of the ac, he said he had the bird for a year and his feathers had not come back, just kept the down, but i am thinking he may be full of it. he didn't seem to know what to do for this guy, no good perching, or any toys at all in the cage. i have no idea how old he, or even she is either.
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

Hello Chobah,
I just got the November issue of ( Bird Talk ) magazine . It features the Pionus. On page 40, it talks about one trait of the pionus which is called ( wheezing). It is something they do when they are excited, nervous or scared. It sounds like a breathing problem, but it is a behavior trait. Mabey you can learn more about the pionus by getting this magazine. The November issue just came out and has a section all on the pionus.
Also there is a web site that I use for information and for ordering organic supplies. It has a wealth of information on just about any problem you are dealing with. The info they have on feather damage and how to treat it is very good and they have diet information and organic products that can help calm your bird. They have dietary suppliments that treats deficientcies that can be the cause of feather loss and damage. The web address is: ( www.allbirdproducts.com ) I hope this will help you. Good luck :)
chobah

Post by chobah »

that is actually really interesting. i never knew that about the Pionus, although i really don't know much about them in general. This will be the first one that i have had to care for. he definitely has some sort of vitamin deficiency, his beak is all flakey and chipping in places, so we are starting him on some supplements. thanks for the website for bird products, i think we will be ordering a few things to ad to his diet, to see if it help him. He really is a sweet bird, and hasn't even hinted at biting me yet, so we are very confident that he will rehab quite nicely, and perhaps join the flock after his quarrentine period is over.
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

On the feather problem. Most information I have learned about feather loss or damage suggests that it is usually from stress and a serious dietary deficientcies, so I would try to keep your pionus in a quiet place and reduce his stress as much as possable. Also put him on a program of diet suppliments to build him up and replace anything he is deficient in. At ( all bird products.com ) they have organic herbal suppliments to add to your birds diet that have calming effect, and they stress calcium decientcies as one cause of feather problems. Your little guy may not be plucking becouse his chest would be bare. So he may be suffering from a seriouse diet deficiency and just bad care and neglect before you got him. Also he needs to be checked over by a good avian vet and checked for any mite problem. Does he like bathes or showers? Even if he is not an IRN, he is still a parrot that is in need of special care and attention and lots of love. :) He is lucky he has now got someone who cares and wants to help him.
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

Hello Chobah
How is your new little pionus doing? Have you named him yet? I hope he is well but just needs good care and treatment for his feather problem. There is one other thing I suggest doing. Since you don't know much about his background, it is a good thing to give him a detox treatment. He could have been exposed to toxins that affect the liver and kidneys and blood. Such as metals and other toxins. And this could be the cause of the feather and beak problem and makeing him just not feel well. You could see improvements soon after he has been detoxed. The all bird products have detoxification formula that is natural organic medication. They also have the herb salad to put in his food that is a self medicating combination of healing herbs. You could see a big change in your pionus after this is done. I hope this information will be helpful. :)

Darlene
chobah

Post by chobah »

max is doing leaps and bounds better, and it has been such a short period of time. all disease tests have come back negative, and we have done a total diet overhall on him. max has taken to the new diet very nicely, and has been eating the vitamins supplemented fruits, and chewing the cuttle. already i am seeing a few new feathers popping in on the plucked area. he will be fine, or maybe she we still need to get that test back. the vet said we probably caught max right before it would have become critical. thanks for all the advise about detoxing max, he is really showing good effects.
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

This is good news that Max is showing improvement already. It just took someone who cares to take care of his needs. He will be your best friend. :)