MBS strikes again!!!

Moderator: Mods

TropicalAussie

MBS strikes again!!!

Post by TropicalAussie »

Hi guys, I did a very naughty thing on the weekend and bought yet another bird (that makes it 5 now). But I couldn't not get this one. It's a 7 week old hand raised Purple crowned lorikeet. Ever since I met my fiance he has said that he wanted one but they are almost impossible to get in Darwin. But when I went to the pet store on the weekend, he was there and I had to get him for his birthday which is in 2 weeks.

But I do have one question. At the moment we have our IRN and varied red crowned lorikeet in the bedroom with us and we sleep with the air con on at night. They handle the temperature drop just fine but I'm not sure if the purple crowned lori wil be the same because he's so young. He's the same size as the varied lori and has all his feathers, I just don't want to freeze him to death. It only get down to 16 degrees celcius minimum. What do you think?
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Congradulations on the new bub! You must show pics! hehe.

I'm guessing 16 degrees is not too cold. Down here in Melbourne we have lorikeets around during the winter which can get down to around 7 degrees! I know it can get quite hot and sticky around your area up in the tropics! I'd love to go to Darwin one day. I lived and worked in Uluru (Yulara) which is still a long way from Darwin. But I loved it! Love the NT!

Just to be safe I'd use the air con on the lowest possible setting. Or use fans maybe?

I've read to keep birds away from cold draughts. But then you don't want them to overheat if your living in hot temperatures.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

I think you are not at all naughty & I want to see pics (nothing to add on the AC)
MCS
TropicalAussie

Post by TropicalAussie »

Yeah, the pics will be coming soon. I've actually got two new birds to show you piccies of cos I bought a mate for my lovebird Zorro a couple of weeks back called Tookie.
I had the lorikeet (who's name is Anubis) in the room with us last night with a thin polar fleece blanket over his cage and he did fine as far as I could tell. I put a little hanging tent in his cage incase it got cold and he didn't use it so I think he'll be fine.
I haven't updated on my taming Iago in a while so I'll let you know now. I got very busy when we moved about a month ago and with all the birds upstairs in our room, it's hard to multitask with taming and doing other stuff at the same time. But last thursday I thought it's time to start again cos he'd gone totally wild again. So I took his cage into the bathroom, let him come out on his own and then caught him with a teatowel and took him into the shower. He freaked out, squarking and screeching a far bit and i was scared he'd have a heartattack so I turned the shower on. He'd never had a shower before. HE LOVED IT!!!!
He stretches out his body and lets the water run from his head down his back and it really calmed him down. So I have a shower with him every second day now and while he's calm and enjoying his shower I practise step ups, nuzzling his beak and chest with my nose and rubbing his belly with my finger. He's doing ok, and even seems to understand what 'no biting' means. His ring is getting darker and I can see a faint line from the top of his beak to his eyes. I'll have to get some new piccies of him soon.
Ok, now that I've rambled on, I had better go. Thanks for the advice Lauren.