lost 3 saved 1

Moderator: Mods

ringneckluv

lost 3 saved 1

Post by ringneckluv »

I was feeding my birds fresh this morning and could faintly hear baby bird chirps. Excited I went to inspect the box only to find the father was on perch with a baby in his mouth ready to eat it. I scared him and he dropped it into the water bowel. I got out out straight away and have placed it into the box with heat pad etc. so hopefully might be ok. 3 broken eggs and only one young so I assume he has had his way with the others. I have never had any previous problems with this pair (but occasionally with others) and they are usually excellent producers. The only issue has been the mother double clutching and not eating. I am now thinking of investing in an egg incubator therefore hopefully eliminating some of the issues with parents eating the eggs and young. They have a great diet plenty of fresh and pellets/seed. Excellent cages etc. with a quiet environment so I assume that maybe it is just one of those things. We hand raise some just for public sales however most are parent raised. I would like to be able to incubate the eggs if I get any indication that it is required.
I have been told that incubators that turn the eggs on rollers are better than others. Are these even necessary?
Any advice on egg incubation techniques and equipment would be much appreciated.
Thanks for listening
MissK

Re: lost 3 saved 1

Post by MissK »

I realize you're looking to talk about incubators, but I'm interested in the cock's behaviour. When you say he was about to eat the chick, is that an assumption, or is it something male Ringnecks actually do, something recognized? Why would they do that? I know, for instance, that stressed rabbit parents will kill the young. Male lions, taking over another lion's pride, will kill the first lion's cubs. Would you mind telling me a little more about that interesting, albeit undesirable, behaviour in Ringnecks?
-MissK
ringneckluv

Post by ringneckluv »

My birds are in 2.5m long suspended aviaries with box at one end. The cock was at the opposite end on a perch with the young in its beak. I had only just placed a bowl of sprouted seed in the cage maybe 15 minutes earlier. When I heard the chirps and went to investigate I noticed him on the perch with what I thought was sprouted seed in beak having a chew. It was the baby. The baby has a blood blister on the back of neck but apart from that seems ok. We managed to get some formula into it so cross fingers it will b ok. The loss of the other young as well as some minor blood in the box suggests to me that he has done this to the others. There has been no change in our procedures this season apart from the weather starting the season a little earlier than previous. Because it is out of the ordinary for this pair I am hoping that it is just one of those things. We have had it happen previously with other pairs but I think it was because we were checking the boxes to often and therefor disturbing them, we stopped doing this and the pairs have bred fine since.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Interesting. I wonder why he brought that one from the box, leaving the others, and if he intended to consume it. I'm glad you were able to reduce that behaviour in your flock. I also really appreciate your discussing such an upsetting personal experience. Thank you. I wish you the best with the baby you saved. There must be a way to arrange a peephole in the back of the box, though I'm not sure how you would get lighting in there, to check them in a less intrusive way.
-MissK
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

I'm really sorry for your loss. It's funny how sad things like this can happen. :O(

Best Wishes,

IMRAN-C
ringneckluv

Post by ringneckluv »

Thanks guys for the support it is greatly appreciated. Naturally I'm a little paranoid after this experience so therefor will b watching a little closer than previously. Molossus I have very little experience with fostering and have only tried it once which was unsuccessful so may consider it again. Seems to b a reasonably common practice so there must be something to it. I have been reading up on egg incubation and concluded I need to purchase an incubator just for in case sake.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Good Idea. I always have one on hand and ready to go during my breeding season should a problem arise. Make sure to turn the incubator on as soon as you see eggs even though they will not be inside the incubator. This way if they are pulled you don't have to wait to collaborate the incubator / humidity--sometimes this can take forever.

Also, they might nest successfully next year. One of my pairs did something like this and it never happened again . My fingers are crossed for you! :)

Best Wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN-C