Please, post pics of your bird's cages...

Moderator: Mods

Mikaela

Please, post pics of your bird's cages...

Post by Mikaela »

Hey Ya'll

We have a few members that are building, designing or simply trying to decide what cage is best for their baby.

If you have a moment and would like to help, please post pics of your cages. We would really appreciate it!

Thanks ya'll! We really need your help here. For some, money is an issue so they/we cant afford to make bad cage decisions.

Feel free when posting your cage pic to elaborate on what you like and dont like about the function of your cage. Also, feel free to give advice on bar spacing (no more than a half an inch) or anything else YOU feel should be mentioned. This will help members make good decisions.

Thank you to everyone that helps in this research. It will ensure many babies have good, safe homes to play in when we are away! If you participate, you get a gold star :!: :)

Here is a pic of Chief's cage. He is a baby so as not to overwhelm him, he has very little in his cage right now and it is set up so he can get around very easliy. He is still just a baby so he is kind of clumsy.

Here is Baby's cage, hers is just like Peek-a-Boo's cage, just on the other side of the room because Baby is a bully. I took one from far away and one close up so you could see HER favorite toys. Cheif will have many toys too but I have only had him a week so I am adding slowly so I dont freak him out.

Close up so you can see the toys MOST IRNs looooove.

Hope this helps! Remember, short of making sure the spacing is no more than half an inch, the sky is the limit! I can't wait to see what you design. Big doors are VERY important, a few small doors on all sides of the cage is awesome too.
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Cost...

Post by Dani03 »

Hey Mikaela how much did your Baby's cage run you?

Dani and Prinny
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

My computer is dead so I cant post a picture. ** Edit: I remembered to use my brain and took the digital camera into the bird room and took a new photo and uploaded it on my fiances computer**

What I did was buy one of those "greenhouses" for pot plants for like $50aud and bought some perches and Mesh (1 inch squares) roll of wire to tie the mesh on and some toys that was maybe another $50 and I meshed up the greenhouse so they have a nice large cage, on wheels. I used the shelving for the greenhouse, on the bottom one I put all the seed, treats and bird stuff. the second shelf is the bottom of the cage and it has a real pretty arch and enough room for quite a few birds.
The door is made out of another of the shelves. It's really light and easy to clean. The door is very big so I would never open it outside.

A cage this size would be like $500 and I'm not willing to pay that much. So I made one. Mm I sound so stingy. But I got alot of birds so I made two cages for around $200
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Im sorry Dani, I dont know.

I say "I want that" and my husband buys it. I know that sounds bad but I dont look at prices. I grew up VERY poor so now I dont compromise and sadly, I am now a little on the spoiled side. Actually alot. :oops:

I will ask him when he gets home and let you know. That cage is GREAT for training a baby. And plenty big enough for a full-grown IRN but Cheif should be in there because he isnt going to get very big, plus he is a baby in training.

Peek-a-Boo's cage is like Baby's. The tall one.

Good Job Neokireina... sometimes we smart ones can be the dumbest. The simple escapes us. :lol:
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Thanks!

Post by Dani03 »

I want to eventually upgrade Prinny's cage and that is the perfect size. :D Tis ok to be spoiled! Neokireina great cage! It is a wonderful idea for those of us who aren't as spoiled :wink:

Dani and Prinny
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Neokireina was right, he paid 750.00 for it, including the perches and those few little toys. It would have been more had we not bought a bird too at the same time. This was the second bird and cage we purchased from these people so Im sure 750.00 was bargain basement price.

Maybe, since I now know these people so well and have spent so much, they will give me a better deal. I will e-mail them today and see the BOTTOM DOLLAR they will take and get back to you. If it is a price you can deal with then you can paypal me the cash and I'll send it to you.

God, I dont even want to know what he paid for Baby's cage :oops:

Feeling a little guilty now, I wont be asking for anything new for my babies anytime soon. He also has those elaborate play condos for each of them. He loves to spoil. Some people get alot of satisfaction from giving.

Notice the condo beside Baby's cage that she can go back and forth from? She loves it SO much. He doesnt like to touch the babies but LOVES to watch them put on a show.
~ Mikaela Sky

Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

Made me go hunting, I knew I had pics stored online somewhere...

Miss Mazzie's house:

You can see, its not super busy with toys. She doesn't enjoy a crowded cage at all, so we cycle toys out and in, to keep her interested. Her boing is attached at both the top and bottom, so it sways but doesn't rock madly.

Buddy's cage... I don't have a shot of the new one... this is him in his old one. Its not a good pic of the cage, but it does show his favorite toy LOL. His cage is far busier, as he likes lots of things to do in there...

I didn't like that cage because the feed doors were a royal pain, the bar spacing was a wee bit big (not dangerously so, but enough that I worried), and it was a dometop which I hate for IRN's.

Athena
tasha

Post by tasha »

This is Indy's I wish I could afford a bigger one.

http://photobucket.com/albums/b114/tash ... ndy004.jpg

Tasha
Tasha & Indy
julies

Post by julies »

All these cages look great, im glad I am not the only one who has so many toys for my birds.
My children reckon that everytime we go shopping i always buy more toys for elka then them.
Jealous lilttle mites.
All of these irns are spoilt and very loved.

Julies
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

My word!

These are some spoiled rotten creatures. :lol:
~ Mikaela Sky

Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

This was Datsuns new cage just after we put it together, we have since had more bars put in as the spacing was too big. What I love about it is the whole top opens and half the front so its really easy access. It measures 3'6"long x 2'6"wide x 4'tall. Now it has branches and toys all over so she has a ball climbing around and chewing everything up. She is the small green blob in the top left corner.

Please excuse my messy house!

-Chamon-

Lisa's Tiki

Post by Lisa's Tiki »

Here's Tiki's cage. He totally loves it! It is 32"x23"x68" (Interior height is 45") I just LOVE the little "drawbridge" door at the top that he is standing on. This is usually the one that is open all the time when I am at home.
Image I bought his cage on Ebay for only $280, which is a great deal for such a nice cage. The only problem, the cage arrived with a small amount of damage that I was able to fix - one minor bent bar that I pried back into place with plyers. There was also a few small scratches, but luckily they are on the side next to the TV (can't see the TV in the picture), so you can't see them. I emailed the company and I didn't even get an apology or anything! I left feedback for them that was netural, and they in turn responded back with negative feedback to me saying I was a bad customer. So I am not going to recommend them to anyone, but all is good because Tiki's cage is perfectly fine now and he loves it, so that is all that matters. Those people can take their opionion of me and place it, well you know where!
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I just wanted to thank all of you for participating in this.

Please, keep 'um coming!

We have some very spoiled babies. :lol:
~ Mikaela Sky

surferdon

Post by surferdon »

tasha, wow that is a small cage, i can find you one on ebay if you would like for about 50 dollars with free shipping, but i would say that even though it looks like your bird is out all of the time you might want to get something bigger. ill post my cage in a second that i got from ebay for 100 free shipping. just let me know. :lol:
tasha

Post by tasha »

Surferdon
You would not believe the cage that Indy was in, it was at least 4 times smaller than the cage that I have him in. He was in a Budgie cage. I'm in the process of getting a bigger one at the moment.
Tasha
Tasha & Indy
surferdon

Post by surferdon »

ok well i just wanted to help out just in case you couldnt find a cage for cheap. That was all just a nice gesture. Im glad for you. :lol:
tasha

Post by tasha »

surferdon
I do thank you for the kind offer, just out of curiosity what size cage do you have?
Tasha
Tasha & Indy
surferdon

Post by surferdon »

this is my wonderful cage that i got for 100 american dollars with free shipping off of ebay.
tasha

Post by tasha »

surferdon
The cage that I am looking at is just slightly bigger than yours so at least I know I'm in the right size range yours looks good
Tasha
Tasha & Indy
surferdon

Post by surferdon »

im sure your friend will be very delighted once he has become used to it. I hope that i did not offend you in any way, I am only 19 so i mean well but it doesnt always seem like i do.
tasha

Post by tasha »

Surferdon

No you didn't offend me at all, I appreciate any advice and yes I did know that you need a large cage for these birds but what size is correct I don't know.
But a budgie cage was just wrong thats why I took him home I've only had Indy for 2 months but it is like I have had him forever.

Tasha
Tasha & Indy
surferdon

Post by surferdon »

i reasd somewhere, but i dont remember that the the cage for a irn must be at least 36" high and 22" wide square. But i found it to be just a suggestion, but if you say your new cage is gonna be larger than mine wow we shall call it the birdie Manshion :lol:
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Well my hubby made kai's cage. Its six modula pieces that simply screw together with coach bolts and wing nuts for easy dismantling and moving if necessary, and great for cleaning.

Now I know most people have metal cages. But the wood is all non treated and there is even oregon sections at the back for Kai to bite and go to town on. Its a huge cage, but when he cannot be out in the house he has plenty of space to grab onto a branch(perch) and flap those wings as if he were flying, which is one of his favorite things to do, seeing as his wing is clipped.

There is one large main door to open up so the cage is almost like an open jungle gym, then a small door at the floor height for the days when I keep the large door closed because eg: there are alot of kids around, that I don't want annoying him, so he can still have the ability to come and go as he pleases.

This is the best pic I can find of it at the moment, its a still taken from a video. I have since put bigger and better branches(perch) in and a wooden ladder hubby made from tree branches. Kai LOVES!! it. Chews on all the nobbles of the branches, and uses them to scratch himself and clean his beak on.

Angie
tasha

Post by tasha »

Kai is so lucky talk about living in a mansion wow

Tasha
Tasha & Indy
Google

My Googles cage

Post by Google »

There is Googles cage...its about as tall as me! OH and the hanging cage contains one killer zebra finch. She has killed all the finches we tried to put in with her....eek. So now she is a loner!
Google seems happy...but i need to go get better perches. Not that she uses them...mostly she hangs upside down from the top. ummm strange bird.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Again, thank all of you very much for your participation in this, keep 'um comin' :!:
~ Mikaela Sky

Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

maybe your finch just likes being alone... :shock:
*mia*

Post by *mia* »

Here is Kalles cages. I know that it´s small, but to the summer I´m going to build a big one to him. Because i cant find a cages there is as large that they haft to be i Sweden :? .. On sunday he will get new toys :D but he doesn´t like thoose who hangs in the cages because his other owner only had one borring toy to him :( so he does not know how to play whit them. But i learning hin that now so he now knows how too play whit the feet toys :D
Image it´s not a very good pict but the camera is broken
Carly

Post by Carly »

Here's the two cages my birds use

1) this is their 'inside' cage - it is where I bring them inside at night time. Its not very big but then again it was never intended to be a permanent home

and above it I put some rope with a swing and other toys. I found that they would climb the curtains anyway so at least this way they have something constructive to do up there!

2) Here is their 'outside' cage. Its a home made job by my dad. Its basically just a big cylinder with a solid top and a wire base. I have put some 'bamboo' screening around the outside to give them some protection from the weather.

This cage has been a permanent home to Raj at some points in his life when he has been bunked down at my parents place due to college and other things, its a great size and has a fine mesh wire, but its hopeless to clean, and I cant reach most areas inside the cage (it only has one tiny access door at the top) and it is just a PITA all around. If you are building a cage put in more than one door and think about cleaning!
webvixen

Post by webvixen »

hi all, this is where my birds live, there are three sharing this cage atm,
cause they are all young (just over 1 year) there hasn't been any trouble YET :) but i know next year i will have to seperate the males and females
Image this cage was from one of the cheep **** shops and was only $200
and you get what you pay for , it has two little doors on the front
that make it so hard to clean, the paint is ok, but over all it's cheep and nasty
it looks bare at the moment it usualy has a few natural perches(branches)
in the middle. although they mainly only use the top half of the cage
Imagethe blue 1 on the left is just visiting for a while they r bro and sis and love each other so much
the cage had a pitcked roof like a pyrimid witch i took off and made the top flat and made a bit of a play stand that i'm still working on[/img][img][/i[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b35/trevj1979/Picture409.jpg[/img]mg]
darkcloudchild

Post by darkcloudchild »

Here's Kozmo and Loki's Local Hang-out

Image :D
Rick_in_PDX

Post by Rick_in_PDX »

Ringneck cage:
playstand between the quaker and IRN:

Cockatiel cage:

3 cages (IRN, and 2 QP )
3 Quakers ~Wilson~Maddie~Lilly
4'Tiels~Walter~Wanda~Prettybird~Christmass
1 Ringneck ~Rosie

Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

hey that pic almost looks like my house. The birds are taking over..
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Darkcloud:

I like how your cage has the tray that extends out like that. I wouldnt have to sweep constantly.

Our cages are alot alike but yours has that extra feature. I will keep that in mind when and if I ever have to buy another cage.
~ Mikaela Sky

darkcloudchild

Post by darkcloudchild »

It usually catches most the stuff, but sometimes when they decide they're going to scratch in their food dish they still manage to get it on the floor.

It was an E-bay buy though, one of my better I think :D
Rena
surferdon

Post by surferdon »

yeah my cage does too, at first i wasnt going to put it on but now my carpet is a whole lot cleaner
indy

my babys cage

Post by indy »

This is my babys cage i got it used paid 85 dollars and wo! my baby loves it compared to its old small cage i can tell how much happyer my ring neck is now.

We all love are indian ringnecks and we all agree there great birds.